Musical benefit to raise money for tsunami victims will be held in Sun Room

Alex Switzer

When a tsunami hit Southeast Asia in December, many countries surrounding the Indian Ocean experienced devastating losses.

In its aftermath, cities were destroyed, thousands were dead and even more were left homeless — all their possessions washed away.

In the months after the disaster, nations around the world and private agencies have orchestrated massive relief efforts in hopes of getting the ill-fated countries back on track.

Saturday, Campus Crusade for Christ will hold its own benefit concert to help ease the economic burden.

Jennifer Edwards, Campus Crusade for Christ staff member, says much help is still needed for the tsunami victims and that the concert will hopefully bring in a substantial amount of money.

“We’re looking to see what students really want to give to help,” Edwards says. “The show hardly cost anything, and the bands know that it’s a benefit, so obviously we’re not paying them.”

Four bands will be showcased in the concert — an event Edwards says will have numerous beneficial aspects.

“Part of what we do is looking for different ways to help serve the campus,” she says.

“This concert is about being able to help the world, help the campus and bring in some good bands.”

Despite connotations of a Christian-organization sponsored event, Edwards says the bands are just out there to spread a positive message — which is important in the face of crisis.

“I wouldn’t label all of these bands as ‘Christian,’ but they definitely have a positive message,” she says. “[The concert is] a great way to bring some music to campus that people might not have heard.”

The Iowa-based group All But Screaming will be performing with three other bands during the show. Its bassist, Shane Lunsford, says the group only found out after agreeing for the show that it was to benefit tsunami victims, but that it only made a more rewarding opportunity.

“I think it’s great to be involved in something that backs the tsunami relief,” Lunsford says. “Our songs are filled with hope, so I feel it will relate.”

Lunsford says he takes a personal interest to the benefit because he has friends in some of the countries affected by last December’s disaster.

“I was curious to see what happened to them,” he says.

“I’ve done stuff around the world with Campus Crusade — I enjoy playing shows there, just spreading the gospel message through music and being involved with the campuses.”

Many different organizations have been involved with providing aid to the countries, yet Lunsford believes it is also the responsibility of musicians to help raise awareness.

“I think it’s a good thing to be involved as an artist,” he says.

“Our calling is to love people through music; to help people in trouble and people who are going through confusing times — [doing the benefit] is just another way to reach out to them.”

Who: Tsunami Relief Benefits Concert

Where: Sun Room, Memorial Union

When: 7 p.m. Saturday

Cost: $5