Tasheed Carr: ‘Superman’

Diana Homan

There he was, standing on Texas’ logo back on Feb. 5.

The freshman from Philadelphia had arrived and marked that arrival in stunning fashion, scoring 13 of his 22 points in overtime to help the ISU men’s basketball team defeat then-No. 20 Texas 92-80 and give Iowa State its first road win in nearly four years.

Tasheed Carr said that game was the highest point of the season for him so far.

“It was a real good game,” Carr said. “I just stepped in with confidence like I do in all my games, and my shots were falling.”

Coach Wayne Morgan said Carr and fellow freshman Rahshon Clark have given a lot to the team this season.

“They’ve been a tremendous factor,” Morgan said. “Tasheed turned into Superman in overtime at Texas and scored 13 points, 22 for the game. They have contributed mightily to our success.”

After the first 16 games of the season, Carr had just 41 points and five 3-pointers. In the team’s last nine games, through the Nebraska game on Feb. 27, Carr has scored 94 points and made 15 3-pointers. His 20 total baskets from behind the arc tie him for fourth on the ISU freshman made-3-pointers list.

This turnaround in Carr was crucial in Iowa State’s seven-game winning streak after starting the Big 12 season 0-5.

“After losing five in a row, we turned it around. Even though we lost these last two (Texas A&M and Nebraska), it’s not a big concern,” Carr said. “But I think my best memory is winning those seven in a row; it was so fun winning.”

The self-proclaimed “grandma’s boy” wasn’t always on the basketball path. Carr said he used to play football but didn’t like it too much. Then the basketball chatter started.

“I used to play basketball for fun, and people started to tell me I was good at it,” Carr said. “Around sixth and seventh grade, I started to take it seriously and start competing.”

In high school, Carr was also an all-conference cross country runner, even though he didn’t care much for the sport.

“I just basically did that because the coach made me,” Carr said. “But I just did it. I figured if I was going to do it, I was going to compete and I was going to do my best at it.”

Carr also did well off the court. He was valedictorian of his senior class at Mt. Zion Christian Academy and said getting a college degree is just as important as basketball to him.

“I just want to be the best student I can be here first of all and the best person I can be,” Carr said. “I want to come out with a degree in communication or business. I just want to stay focused as a student.”

Although balancing college classes and Division I basketball hasn’t been easy, Carr said school is going well for him.

“When you’re willing to do the things and take pride in your schoolwork, it’s not that hard,” Carr said. “I take pride in what I do in school like I do in basketball.”

Despite his recent play, Carr said the season has been tough.

“There have been some ups and downs,” he said. “I think it’s a roller-coaster ride. I’m a freshman, and I understand that all freshmen go through that same thing. But I think throughout it all, I remain confident.”

Morgan has said many times he saw the potential Carr had and isn’t too surprised by his play.

“Tasheed is really good and he’s really fearless and he’s really confident,” Morgan said. “He doesn’t think there’s anything he can’t do.”

Carr said every time he hits the floor, he just wants to shoot with confidence, and when he shoots the ball, he thinks it is going in.

“I think when you have confidence,” Carr said, “it’s hard for you to go out there and not play well.”