Wrestlers continue undefeated season

Mike Dean

After two victories Friday night, the ISU wrestling team is off to its best start since the 1970-71 campaign. It wasn’t easy for the Cyclones, who used a late takedown and back points by heavyweight Scott Coleman to seal a victory over Stanford.

Now 14-0 in dual meets, Iowa State coasted by Lock Haven 35-12, and came from behind to defeat Stanford 23-18.

“We were really only wrestling half of our [starting] lineup,” said junior Nate Gallick. “We wrestled four guys that weren’t starters but it was still a little closer than it should have been. Had we wrestled our true lineup, it might not have been so close.”

Freshmen Ben Hanisch and David Bertolino wrestled at 125 and 174 pounds, respectively, while sophomores Mike Somsky and Grant Turner assumed the roles at 165 and 184 pounds.

In the first match against Lock Haven, junior Jesse Sundell, senior Nick Passolano and sophomore Kurt Backes all recorded pins. Sophomore Trent Paulson and senior Scott Coleman both won by technical fall, and senior Trevor Smith won by major decision.

“They did a good job; I’m proud of them all,” said assistant coach Chris Bono. “They went out and wrestled and did some of the things we asked of them. We didn’t have our full lineup after that first match, so it was good to see them fight through some adversity.”

Sundell led the way in both matches with two pins, dropping Lock Haven’s Jim Collins in 3:20, and Stanford’s Juston Johnson in 5:22. He is now 9-8 on the season, with a 7-4 dual-meet record.

“He’s doing a good job,” Bono said of Sundell. “Let’s just hope it continues. He’s working hard, he’s dedicated to helping himself and now he’s showing everyone what he’s capable of doing.”

Sundell said that he is beginning to find his groove.

“I’m starting to feel more comfortable on the mat and starting to have more fun,” the Ogden native said. “[Friday] was a big confidence boost; coming in off of a four-match losing streak, and now I’ve won three straight. It’s big.”

Stanford’s defending national champion Matt Gentry forfeited his match against Paulson because of a staph infection. The top-ranked wrestler at 157-pounds had given Paulson his only blemish on a 22-1 campaign thus far.

“I’m really disappointed,” Paulson said. “I was training for it all week, getting mentally ready — to go out there and get a forfeit, it’s pretty frustrating. I’ll be ready for him at nationals.”

The Cyclones next take to the mat against No. 1 Oklahoma State on Thursday. The match begins at 7 p.m. in Hilton Coliseum.