I am more than a politician

Cody+Woodruff_02.jpg

Cody Woodruff_02.jpg

Cody Woodruff

My story is simultaneously familiar and unique, yet it’s distinctly mine and makes me the luckiest person on the planet. I grew up about an hour south of Ames in Carlisle, a small-town that filled me with big ideas, and was raised alongside two incredible younger siblings by two amazing parents in a small house on a gravel road. My life has revolved around three seemingly simple yet constantly complicated topics: family, friends, and faith. That last “f” isn’t referring to a religious belief, but rather an ongoing faith in people, particularly those that surround me.

Despite being a lifelong Cyclone, I didn’t think I’d end up at Iowa State. I had lifelong dreams of attending Harvard or Columbia – reality ended up being different. Once here, I quickly joined Student Government to be a part of the community and hopefully make a small difference in the grand scheme of things. Almost two and a half years later, I’m now writing this as a former Senator, Vice Speaker, and current Speaker of the Senate.

I got involved in Student Government because I love government, politics, public service, and representing those around me. It’s something I’ve always had an affinity for and been attracted to, and I’m fortunate to be able to pursue my passions. Politicians and government, especially in this day and age, have a strong negative connotation with them, and I want to change that. I want to prove that there are wonderful, kind, dedicated public servants that aren’t self-serving. I want to prove that government is good and a powerful tool to create positive change. I want to prove that we are far better working together than we are working against each other.

As a leader, I strive to show everyone their individual potential and the immense change that they have the ability to enact and implement. They continually motivate me and fill me with optimism, and I simply hope that I’m able to help them see themselves as I do: inspiring, dedicated, compassionate people with the capability to change their communities for the better. After learning from failure, I realized the best way to earn respect and encourage the leaders around me was not through an incentive or punishment, but by connecting with them as fellow humans and friends. I want to know their aspirations and fears, their talents and interests, and – most importantly – their story. It’s fascinating to understand how someone got to be the way they are now and what drives them forward, and it allows us to see each other as more than just colleagues or acquaintances. We become family.

The only reason I’ve been able to keep going and be at where I am right now is because of the people that have helped me along the way. I’m a firm believer that we are each a collection of our own experiences and memories paired with pieces of people we’ve met along the way of this crazy journey called life. As leaders (and people in general), we must be willing to ask for help when we need it. It can be difficult – trust me, I know better than most – but it’s vital to our own well-being and the success of what we’re trying to accomplish. It took me a long time to learn and fully appreciate this lesson, and I still have to constantly work on it, but it’s absolutely essential to becoming the best leader you can be.

Legacy has been on my mind quite often lately. I’m currently trying to figure out and decide what’s best for me, Student Government, and the student body. I’m not yet sure what’s next, but I do know that at the end of the day and above all else, I simply want to be remembered as a good, kind person who cared enough to try and make a difference. There’s a quote that’s guided me for years: “Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, for all the people you can, for as long as ever you can.” If I’m able to live up to that standard, then I will indeed be a happy and content man. I also hope that I was able to leave an impression, however small, on the people I’ve encountered throughout life. I think back to how impactful so many different folks have been in my life, and I just wish to return the favor.

To those bright, new leaders out there, I’d like to offer some words of advice: Never lose the fire that drives you – hold tight to it, and fight for what you believe in. Surround yourself with people who will make you and your cause better – they should be helping you grow and not tearing you down. Follow your heart – it will guide you and will serve as your compass. Don’t stay comfortable – always try new things, seek new perspectives, be courageous, and take risks you may not have otherwise done. Always say hello and stay kind – everyone deserves a helping hand and warm smile, and it may just make their day. Listen more than you speak – you’ll learn more and grow more as a person. Most importantly, spread love – it is the most powerful thing in the world, and we can always use more empathy and compassion between fellow humans.

I am more than a politician.