Concert prepares choir for L.A. convention

Alex Switzer

This summer, Cael Sanderson led the way to international acclaim by winning a gold medal in wrestling at the Olympics in Greece. This February, members of Iowa State will once again go for gold — this time on stage.

The Iowa State Singers, an ensemble choir group, will be performing this Sunday at Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall in preparation for their February trip to Los Angeles, where they will compete with the country’s best choirs at the American Choral Directors Association’s 2005 national convention.

James Rodde, professor of music and director of choral activities, says the students have worked hard and deserve this opportunity.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the students,” says Rodde, who directs the singers. “This is considered to be a pinnacle moment, to be invited to sing at the ACDA.”

The Singers, composed of 38 returning students and 30 new members, will sing three performances in two days in front of some of the country’s best conductors.

Rodde says the hardest part of the job was building the right repertoire for the convention.

“I think that finding music for a performance is the biggest challenge,” he says. “It takes time, but then you find a piece and you get excited about it and you wonder what else would go well with it.”

Rodde says he’s pleased with the group’s progress.

“Now we’re at a point where we just have to fine-tune some details,” he says.

Jamie Ohrt, a three-year veteran of the Singers, says she’s excited to be going to California.

“I don’t know what to expect,” says Ohrt, junior in advertising. “But the hard part is over. We sent in the tape, and now we just go and perform.”

She says the program was more intensive this year because of the preparation for the convention.

“The hardest part isn’t the music, but trying to put feeling into the music and give each song its own character.”

She says even though there has been a lot more to accomplish this year, she is confident in the group and Rodde.

“I think the group gets better every year since he’s been here,” she says. “A lot of it is his faith in the choir and how much he pushes us.”

Ohrt says she’s confident that the singers will be ready to perform for the country.

“When February rolls around, we’ll be ready to go,” she says.

What: Iowa State Singers Fall Concert

Where: Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall

When: 3 p.m. Sunday

Cost: Free