Roberson gets shot at Olympic team

Mike Dean

Collegiate 133-pound champion Zach Roberson finished seventh at the U.S. Wrestling Championships over the weekend. He, along with three other former Cyclones, advanced to the U.S. Olympic Freestyle Team Trials.

Roberson will head to Indianapolis next month to try to earn a spot on the 2004 Olympic team. Former Cyclone greats Chris Bono, Joe Heskett and Cael Sanderson all finished second in their respective weight classes.

Roberson finished the tournament 6-2, with one of his losses coming to eventual fourth-place finisher Danny Felix.

It wasn’t until the sixth round that Sanderson had a point scored on him. He was, however, denied his fourth consecutive U.S. national championship. He lost 5-2 to second-seeded Lee Fullhart. Fullhart rallied from a 2-0 deficit to win 5-2.

Bono was also denied a repeat. The 2003 champion lost 4-3 in overtime to top seed Jamill Kelly. Bono rallied from three down to tie the score 3-3. Kelly ended the match with a takedown in overtime.

Heskett also faced the top-seeded wrestler in his class. He lost 4-0 to Joe Williams after tallying three technical falls earlier.

Iowa State — which had the most representatives of any school at the freestyle tournament — didn’t qualify any other wrestlers, but was close in a number of weight classes.

Sophomore Grant Nakamura finished 3-2 at 121 pounds, with both of his losses coming to top-eight finishers. His first loss came to Sam Henson, who eventually finished second. Nakamura was eliminated from the consolation bracket by Nick Simmons, who took eighth.

Sophomore Nate Gallick was 2-2 at 132 pounds during the weekend. In the first round, he beat 2002 125-pound NCAA national champion Travis Lee but eventually lost to second-place finisher Mike Zadick and C.C. Fisher. Fisher was then eliminated by Roberson.

Freshman Trent Paulson finished 4-2, losing to third-place finisher Jared Frayer and JaMarr Billman. Paulson collected two pins and a 10-0 technical fall at 145 pounds during the tournament.

In the 163-pound bracket, freshman Travis Paulson finished 3-2 with a pin and a technical fall to his credit. He also beat fifth-seeded Matt Lackey 4-2 before losing to fifth-place finisher Donny Pritzlaff. Paulson then forfeited to Sean Harrington.

Redshirt freshman David Bertolino lost his initial match to 2004 184-pound collegiate champion Greg Jones, but bounced back to finish 3-2 for the tournament. He earned two technical falls and a 9-0 victory during the weekend.

The U.S. Olympic Team Trials are scheduled for May 21-23.