Denied again

John Kauffman

After all the wins captured and the records broken, it wasn’t supposed to end like this.

Less than a year after being edged from the national gymnastics championships by two tenths of a point, d‚j… vu struck Saturday as Michigan slipped passed the second-seeded Cyclones 196.375-196.150.

The No. 19 Wolverines took second place and the last national qualifying spot up for grabs at the 2004 NCAA Northeast Regional in University Park, Pa.

“I think that the overall feeling from the team is that they worked very hard and didn’t feel rewarded in the end,” head coach K.J. Kindler said.

“This is what we’ve been working for all season and that’s what the whole season comes down too,” sophomore Erin Dethloff said. “It was close, and there wasn’t anything more we could have done.”

After a bye in the first rotation, the Cyclones started off with an “uncharacteristically low score for the team,” Kindler said. The Cyclones were able to drop the score of freshman Katie Lasher, who suffered a near-fall on bars after stalling on a release move, but still started off the competition in sixth place of six teams.

In the third rotation, the Cyclones started off rocky on beam with a fall from freshman Ashley Alden. Kindler said the following five Cyclone routines seemed a bit timid and contained small bobbles that corroded the team’s score.

After a fourth rotation bye, Iowa State came out with a solid performance on floor, the team’s best event, and proceeded to vault where small steps on landings plagued the Cyclones.

“They were a little flat, the tenths come off, and that’s what we lost it by,” Kindler said. “From top to bottom, we were as good of a team as Michigan; .225 is not a lot.”

She said, in retrospect, there were a lot of areas the Cyclones could have made up the tenths — but the end performance came up short.

“The biggest thing is that our postseason performances have not been representative of what our team did this year,” Kindler said. “They are not representative of what [the team is] capable of.”

Kindler said the team is very proud of their regular season record, 9-1-1, but added, “Ultimately, what people judge you upon is how you finish [in the postseason]. [Not qualifying for nationals] is not a good finish for the amount of talent and the consistency this team has.

“[This was] the opportunity meet, and we didn’t grab it,” Kindler said. “I’m not disappointed in the team — just for the team. I definitely think they deserved to go [to nationals].”

“All in all, I can’t be too disappointed,” senior Chee Chee Calina said. “The season itself went well; I couldn’t be prouder of my team.”

Calina said the season was a good learning experience, something the team will remember for next year.

“I think that now how they feel now — how it feels to be so close — will be motivation for next year to put in the hard work and not let it slip by again,” Calina said.

Amidst the team’s disappointment, three Cyclones found individual success.

For the first time ever, three Cyclones advanced to the NCAA championships as individuals. This will be the sixth year in a row the Cyclones have sent an individual or team to nationals.

Dethloff will be returning as an all-around competitor for the second year in a row. Last year, she finished 14th at nationals and became Iowa State’s only freshman to ever garner second-team All-America honors.

Dethloff finished fourth in the all-around (39.475) and tied for second on beam (9.925) at regionals this season.

“I’m happy, but like I’ve said before, it’s not as exciting if your team doesn’t succeed with you,” Dethloff said. “It’s not about individuals in college gymnastics.”

Joining Dethloff at nationals in the all-around competition will be Big 12 Newcomer of the Year freshman Janet Anson. Anson, who finished in a tie for seventh in the all-around (39.2), becomes the third freshman in Cyclone history to qualify to nationals as an individual.

Sophomore Laura-Kay Powell will be the Cyclones’ final representative at the NCAA Nationals, competing on floor exercise after tying for first on the event at regionals (9.90).

Kindler said it will be tough for the gymnasts to compete individually, without the rest of their team.

“They were definitely counting on going as a team, and when your ultimate goal hasn’t been reached, it’s just not as sweet,” she said.

However, Kindler said, the trio has performed well all season and has the potential to place well.

“All three have a chance of qualifying for event finals and becoming All-Americans,” Kindler said.