ISU Racquetball Club takes on the pros

Chris Williams

The ISU Racquetball Club will get a chance to go up against the best in the 26th Annual Lewis Racquetball Classic Feb. 20-22 in Sioux Falls, S.D.

The U.S. Racquetball Association event is a double elimination pro-am style tournament that will feature some of the best racquetball players from around the United States.

The association includes 360 of the nation’s top players.

One of those featured professional players will be Daniel Bratts, senior in marketing. Bratts will go into this weekend’s tournament as the No. 46 racquetball player in the country.

The tournament is a pro-am, which means that local amateurs in the Midwest can test their skills against some of the top professionals in the United States. The racquetball association generally has 64-person single-elimination tournaments, while amateur tournaments are generally 32-person double-elimination events.

Other top players from the ISU Racquetball Club competing in the tournament are Ryan Schwarzkopf, sophomore in electrical engineering, Russ Powers, a graduate student in natural resource ecology and management, and Matt Guetzko, sophomore in pre-landscape architecture.

The racquetball club has around 40 members, including a few who aren’t current ISU students.

The club is unable to take many of its members to tournaments due to lack of funding.

“It’s hard for a bunch of poor college students to come up with the money,” Bratts said.

The club also participates in tournaments besides pro-ams.

The Intercollegiate Nationals, the club’s biggest tournament of the year, will take place March 24-28 in Los Angeles. The 25-team tournament features teams such as Brigham Young, Oregon State, Colorado State, Arizona State and Texas.

“Those are going to be your top teams in the country,” Bratts said.

As of now, Iowa State plans on sending three club members to Nationals, including Bratts.

In addition to Los Angeles, the club plans on traveling to tournaments in Minnesota, Arizona and Nevada.