Injectable male contraceptive latest in birth control

Alyssa Jackson

A five-year study has brought the first male injectable contraceptive closer to the pharmacy counter.

The study, conducted by the ANZAC Research Institute in Sydney, Australia, used the injectable contraceptive for men in 55 couples as their only form of contraceptive. Over a period of 12 months, none of the men’s partners became pregnant.

In the study, the men were injected with progestin and also received implants of testosterone to maintain libido.

The injected progestin turns off normal signals in the brain which trigger sperm production. Consequently, sperm already in the body disappear in approximately three to four months and more are not produced while the injections continue.

With the correct balance of testosterone and progestin, there were no side effects.

“It’s almost a chemical vasectomy,” said Marc Shulman, staff physician at Thielen Student Health Center.

The contraceptive takes three to four months to become effective, which is about the same amount of time a vasectomy requires, Shulman said. However, the reversal rate of the injections appears to be far higher than a vasectomy.

According to the study, sperm counts returned to normal about six months after hormonal injections stopped.

Shulman said it would take several years before this contraceptive is sold commercially. To hit consumer shelves, it would first have to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration and be made into a marketable product, such as a single shot or pill, he said.

“It’s a start, but it needs a lot more study,” he said.

If the contraceptive does hit the pharmaceutical counter, Shulman said it wouldn’t be for every man.

“It’s really for family planning,” he said. “[It’s] for people who are in a relationship and want to wait three to four years to have a kid.”

The contraceptive would be offered at Student Health if the FDA approved it, Shulman said.

“It’s just another option we would have for students to be responsible,” he said.

Men have not often asked about birth control at Thielen Student Health Center, Shulman said. Birth control normally has been directed toward women and this will be a new step in offering men a chance to become involved.

“Most [men] are extremely well aware that condoms are the best form of birth control for males, unfortunately. That, and abstinence,” he said.

Shulman said this new form of contraceptive will not protect users against sexually transmitted diseases. “It’s not a replacement for condoms and being smart,” he said.

Matt Abbot, senior in English, said if he were in a situation that required a contraceptive, he probably would use this new form.

“It’s fair enough, I suppose, but I don’t think many guys will be waiting in line for it,” he said.

Jeff Brown, senior in transportation and logistics, said he would probably not use the contraceptive.

“It might be good for some people who aren’t wise enough to remember other forms of contraceptives,” he said.

Tim Malone, freshman in mechanical engineering, said he would not consider using the injectable contraceptive because he believes it would block normal occurrences. He said even if he were married, he would not use the contraceptive to postpone pregnancy.

“I believe that sex is meant to produce a child,” Malone said.