Free depression screenings promote mental health awareness, treatment

Billie Moorehead

Students who believe they may be exhibiting signs of depression can take advantage of a free depression screening that could put them on the road to recovery.

Student Counseling Services will show informational videos, distribute prizes and handouts and offer screenings for depression to all ISU students from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday in the third floor conference room of the Student Services Building.

The depression screening is an anonymous questionnaire that takes only about ten minutes to fill out, said Chad Johnson, senior staff psychologist for Student Counseling Services.

“[It’s] not something [that is] fully diagnostic,” Johnson said.

The screening is used to bring up concerns and the possibility of treatments and talking to a counselor, he said.

Universities have seen an increase in psychological problems, said Lenore Binen, staff psychologist with Student Counseling Services.

Last year, 30 percent of colleges nationwide reported a student suicide.

This statistic was an eye-opener about psychological problems at universities, Binen said.

Johnson said many students suffering from depression go undiagnosed.

“A lot of students walk around in a fog or in pain,” Johnson said. “Each of these disorders is very treatable.”

All of the data from the screenings will be collected by the Mental Health Organization for research, and the event will be taking place at dozens of universities across the country.

“These illnesses have specific signs and symptoms,” Johnson said.

Symptoms may include uncontrollable crying, changes in appetite or sleep patterns, loss of energy, feelings of helplessness, guilt, inability to concentrate, suicidal thoughts, an increased consumption of alcohol or drug use.

Binen said the event will also provide students with an opportunity to talk to counselors and schedule appointments.

Johnson said if students don’t have time to attend the event, they can come in and schedule a screening appointment through Student Counseling Services.

“This screening day is an informational and educational event, not just if you think you [have depression or other psychological problems],” Johnson said.

“It’s also just to learn something more about it.”