Libero: Not a new dance

Tony Muller

If you have been to any recent ISU volleyball matches, you probably wondered why one back court player was wearing a jersey of a different color.

Don’t worry — she’s on our side.

Dana Koziol wears No. 10 for the Cyclones, and she plays a unique position on the volleyball team.

She plays the libero.

That’s not a dance or musical instrument. The libero is a defensive specialist whose main job is, of course, playing defense.

“The libero is a relatively new position in NCAA volleyball,” ISU assistant coach Amy Farber Knowles said. “We’ve only had it for two years.”

Knowles said the main responsibility of the libero is ball control on defense.

“This is one of the best defensive positions on the team,” Knowles said. “It opens up a whole new angle on the game when things on the floor open up. It gives the smaller player a chance to play.”

Koziol, though, is by no means small. She’s a 6-foot senior from Norfolk, Neb. Last season, she started all 32 matches at libero.

“I really love playing the libero position,” Koziol said. “It’s a lot of fun, and it gives us a chance to have more ball control. Defense is what I love.”

Last season, Koziol collected 324 digs, second on the team. In addition, she had a career-high 22 digs against Northern Iowa and had 21 digs against Baylor.

Koziol was named to the academic all-Big 12 first team.

So far this season, Koziol has played in 45 games, has 151 digs, for a 3.36 digs-per-game average and has one kill.

“Dana has made some huge contributions to the team,” Knowles said. “She has a lot of confidence with her ball control and leadership. Dana is involved in almost every play out there, and every play starts with a pass, and that’s a huge responsibility.”

Another Cyclone player waiting in the wings to take her turn at the libero position is freshman Katie Churm. She is the shortest member of the team, at 5 feet 7 inches tall. Churm, from Irvine, Calif., earned first-team all-city honors for three straight years on her high school team. In addition, she earned first team All-Pacific Coast honors for three straight years.

“I feel really thankful for the chance to play,” Churm said. “The libero is a position for shorter people. I got interested in volleyball in fifth grade, where I played beach volleyball. In seventh grade, I moved to indoors, and I got to play all positions. I eventually switched to the libero position when I was a sophomore [in high school].”

Knowles said she was pleased with Churm’s progress this season.

“She is very good with her skills and plays defense very well,” Knowles said. “Katie needs to get used to our defensive system, and as she grows with the game, the more experience she will get, and she will do a phenomenal job for us.”

So far this season, Churm has played in 40 games and has 77 digs for a 1.92 digs per game average, but has not yet played at the libero position.

Knowles advised fans of what to watch for in the libero position.

“The libero needs to be quick,” Knowles said. “She needs to read and control the ball. She will need to make a great dig. The libero will not be serving the ball, and can’t set up the ball to attack if the libero is in front of the three-meter line.”

Spectators may also notice that Koziol and Churm play together on the back court, as they did this past weekend against Baylor.

“It’s great to play with Katie,” Koziol said. “The chemistry between us is great, and we’re both playing well together.”