ISU Ultimate Club starts to prepare for Grinnell tournament

Lucas Grundmeier

After traveling to the East Coast to win its first tournament championship last year, the Iowa State Ultimate Club held their first practice Tuesday evening, preparing for a busy fall schedule.

The Ultimate Club is currently made up of about 15 students with various abilities, said team member Bryce Campbell, senior in materials engineering. Though many of the members have played ultimate Frisbee during the summer, this was their first gathering of the new school year.

Campbell said the squad had a good season last year, winning the Beasterns Championship in Wilmington, N.C. The team won nine games and lost none en route to its first-ever tournament win.

“Iowa State is the most fun team I’ve ever played on, it’s just a great group of guys,” Campbell said.

He called ultimate Frisbee “the greatest sport at Iowa State.”

Chad Jorgensen, sophomore in materials engineering, is just starting his second semester with the club.

“The time commitment is whatever you want it to be,” he said. Jorgensen said he played in one tournament last semester and has really enjoyed his time on the team.

“I just saw the guys practicing and it looked like fun,” he said.

Club president Jon Staron, junior in mathematics, has been playing ultimate Frisbee for several years.

He found out about the ISU club after he played against them in high school in Marshalltown.

The team plays in tournaments all over the country.

“Driving all night, playing all day – it’s fun,” Staron said.

The first tournament of the year will be played Sept. 13-14 in Grinnell, and the team will play tournaments every weekend through the end of October.

Rachel Derscheid, freshman in veterinary medicine, is founder and president of the women’s ultimate Frisbee team. The women’s team has been a part of the Ultimate Club for one and a half years and participation has been growing steadily, Derscheid said.

Both teams practice together Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. outside of Willow Hall.

More information about the Ultimate Club is located at the club’s Web site, www.stuorg.iastate.edu/ultimate/.