Setting high goals

Tony Muller

ISU head volleyball coach Linda Crum has built the volleyball program from the ground up — from three wins the year before she arrived to 10 last season — and she said the 2003—04 edition, though young, will reap rewards that only match experience can provide.

“This year we have 15 players, and we have depth in every position,” Crum said at Wednesday’s media day at Hilton Coliseum. “We have been working hard on creating match-like situations, and we will be well prepared when we get to the games.”

This will be a deeper, stronger and more focused team, she said. Ten returning players from a strong recruiting class join three talented newcomers. That experience should be converted to success on the courts.

Iowa State will compete in three tournaments, the first of which starts Friday night. The Cyclones will open the Heritage Classic at Hilton Coliseum against Creighton at 7 p.m. and then will have matches against McNeese State at 11 a.m., followed by a 5 p.m. battle with Auburn on Saturday.

Crum said she is counting on four seniors to provide the leadership to get the Cyclones to achieve higher results than last year’s 10-22 overall record and Big 12 Conference mark of 1-19.

Those seniors are setter Lindsey Chapman, hitter Renae Pruess, defender Dana Koziol and middle-blocker Michelle Gannon.

Chapman has starting experience and is the heir apparent to Sara Stribe as the Cyclone setter. Chapman will be counted on to run the Iowa State offense, and with three seasons under her belt, she has the ability to shine in that position.

Pruess, meanwhile, will be a leader with her solid hitting and steady defensive skills. Pruess, from Clarence, Iowa, collected 286 kills and 134 digs last season and is a key ingredient in the Cyclones’ offensive attack.

Koziol served last year in the newly-created position of libero, or defensive specialist.

Another key player Crum is banking on this season is outside hitter Brittany Dalager, whom Crum is expecting to be a leader. Dalager has impressed the coaching staff by demonstrating court sense and consistency, Crum said.

Dalager led the team in digs last year with 430 and was second in kills with 313. She will be joined at that position by returnees Christine Smeele, Katy Amundson, Kelly Melohn and Gannon. Redshirt freshman Nicole Lorenzen and newcomer Katie Jessen are both expected to be big contributors with their ball handling and offensive and defensive skills.

Sophomores Ashlee McWee and Katie Kruenegel both return to middle-blocker positions after playing there extensively last season. McWee had 79 total blocks, ranking second among Iowa State’s returning players. Kruenegel had 78 blocks in 2002, and is expected to be a bigger offensive threat, while freshman Amanda Amon, at 6-foot-2, is expected to provide depth at the net.

Sophomore Amanda Craig will get a chance at the setter position this season. Craig saw action last season as an outside hitter before injury ended her season after 21 match appearances.

Also, newcomer Katie Churm and returner Christine Smeele will see court time at libero along with the starter Koziol.

Crum said she is excited about the prospects for this season. “Our goal is to be in the upper half of the Big 12,” Crum said. “We want to be a top-25 team as well. We’re just going out and doing what we do every day, and if we focus on the little things, then those bigger things will take care of themselves.”

One opponent Crum included in that comment will be in Hilton Coliseum Sept. 5. The Iowa Hawkeyes will play the Cyclones in volleyball for the first time ever, as part of the Cyclone Challenge. That game is set for 7 p.m.

“We couldn’t get them on the schedule until now,” Crum said. “We created a second tournament next weekend here. They are not our focus right now, but they will be next week.

Crum also said she hopes the team will draw good crowds to Hilton this weekend.

“We usually get around 800 fans on Friday nights, and we’re hoping to draw from the football crowd on Saturday,” Crum said. “We hope the fans will take a break from tailgating and come by to enjoy some great volleyball.”