Season football tickets for students sell out

Tony Muller

And then there were none.

Iowa State football student season tickets were sold out as of Monday morning, for the first time ever.

“It’s a real positive that the students have been buying student season tickets,” said Joan Bowles, associate athletic director for development. “It’s indicative of the great job that Coach Dan McCarney and his staff have done.”

That pushes the total number of student season tickets sold to an even 7,000, the highest number of tickets sold during McCarney’s nine years as head coach. Fans have purchased nearly 25,000 season tickets for football — also the highest mark in the last decade, according to figures released by the ISU Athletic Ticket Office.

“This is the highest total of student season tickets sold in recent years,” said Dave Crum, assistant athletics director for ticket operations.

“Last year we sold nearly 6,800, and with the Cyclone football team going to three straight bowl games, and the great home schedule we have this year, it’s great to see the enthusiasm of the students,” he said.

Iowa State hosts Iowa, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas State and Colorado this fall, all top-20 teams from one year ago.

Crum said the record number of student season tickets sold won’t have a marked effect on generating revenue for the athletic department, however.

“We keep the prices of student tickets lower, but every ticket sold does help out,” he said.

Crum added that student single game tickets for all home games, except the Iowa game Sept. 13, are still available. Tickets are available in section R of Jack Trice Stadium for $10. Students are limited to two tickets each.