Information is tip of iceberg for GSB director of information

Natalie Spray

Editor’s Note: This article is part of a weekly series about the people and positions behind the scenes of Iowa State’s Government of the Student Body.

“I know people. I know information, and I know how to get [information] out,” said Kari Hoefer, director of public information for the Government of the Student Body.

Hoefer has served as a GSB office assistant for the current academic year, and was appointed to her director position during spring semester.

Hoefer writes press releases and announces special events and open GSB positions.

Ninety percent of Hoefer’s job is to place advertisements in the Iowa State Daily, but she is willing to take on any project, said GSB Chief of Staff Rick Cordaro.

“A lot of the stuff she has done hasn’t been in her job description, but she has done it anyway,” he said.

Hoefer said she thinks it is important for students to know what GSB is doing for them.

During the 2002 elections, Hoefer said she hadn’t heard a lot about GSB. At the time, her resident assistant was serving as a GSB senator. GSB presidential candidate Steve Medanic and vice presidential candidate Joe Darr came to a house meeting to speak about the elections, which sparked her interest, she said.

Through her position as office assistant, Hoefer said she came to a basic understanding of GSB.

“I felt like more than a normal office assistant,” she said.

Cordaro said Hoefer is a self-motivator, has a high energy level and brings a sense of team to the cabinet.

Hoefer said she was a big supporter of students voting in this year’s elections and becoming involved with GSB.

“It’s never too late to start [being involved],” she said.

One of Hoefer’s most enjoyable activities as director of public information was helping to organize the day students lobbied the Iowa Legislature at the Capitol in Des Moines. She ordered stickers for the event that said, “I support education.”

“Being able to communicate with [members of the legislature] as a student was a great opportunity,” she said. “[Students] can make a difference.”

Hoefer, a correspondent for the Daily, said she will apply for the position of chief of staff for the next executive term.

“There are a lot of things I want to accomplish, and I can do them through other avenues,” she said.