‘Cowboy Ball’ rounds up Rodeo Club, welcomes all

Stephanie Kobes

The ISU Rodeo Club will be taking time out from roping and riding to host its annual “Cowboy Ball” Saturday.

The Ball’s events feature a banquet, a year-end awards ceremony and a silent auction, says Jessica Edge, sophomore in animal science and rodeo club treasurer.

The highlight of the evening will be a dance, featuring both a DJ and karaoke, she says. Club members are looking forward to the annual event.

“I really enjoy socializing and meeting the club alumni and new people,” says Morgan Muhlenbruch, graduate student in agricultural education. “I also enjoy giving out the year-end awards.”

The awards include the crowning of the new Miss ISU Rodeo, says Muhlenbruch, Rodeo Club president.

“Miss ISU Rodeo must be a member of the club for at least one year and must go through an entire application and interview process before she is selected,” she says. “She reigns for one year, until the next ‘Cowboy Ball.'”

The silent auction is used as a fund raiser for the club and consists of prizes including gift certificates, Wrangler T-shirts and the chance to dance with the club president and vice president, says Kate Fox, sophomore in animal science.

Although the banquet and awards ceremony are mainly for Rodeo Club members and alumni, the dance and auction is open to all interested students, says Fox, “Cowboy Ball” chairwoman.

“ISU students should attend because it is a good time and an informal way to meet people and get to know about the club,” she says.

The club has about 45 members who meet twice a month for their meetings, Muhlenbruch says. The club hosts four major events each year besides the Ball, including the Cyclone Stampede rodeo and jackpot roping contests. The club also operates a mechanical bull, which appears on and around campus at various times throughout the year, she says.

“The ISU Rodeo Club is basically there to support the rodeo team…a group of club members that compete at intercollegiate rodeo competitions throughout the Midwest,” Muhlenbruch says.

The”‘Cowboy Ball” will be hosted at the Starlight Best Western, 2601 E. 13th St., and will be held from 8 p.m. to midnight. Tickets are $5 per person and $8 per couple.