GSB readies for another semester

Michaela Saunders

Several goals were accomplished in what Government of the Student Body leaders called a “successful semester.” And they’ll have their work cut out for them when they return in January.

GSB President T.J. Schneider and Vice President Joe Darr began the semester with several goals for improving campus.

Specifically, top priorities included improving campus safety and building a sense of community.

“We’ve had a big semester of great successes,” Schneider said. “We hope to keep moving forward as the voice of students.”

Schneider and Darr emphasized the work of cabinet members, in addition to the GSB senate, in the expansion of CyRide’s Moonlight Express service, lighting and activities such as the first Comedy Festival.

Important for next semester is the work of Director of Student Diversity Myron Batsa, who holds a cabinet position incorporated into the bylaws this semester.

Schneider said several programs are being developed that will focus on improving campus diversity and awareness of diversity.

He said although positions with a focus on diversity and disability are part of the bylaws now, that won’t be what keeps the positions around.

The positions will continue, he said “because it’s working.”

GSB officials promptly responded to a case of vandalism earlier this semester when hate speech with homophobic slurs was spraypainted on two campus buildings.

Schneider said GSB’s work reflects the needs expressed by students. GSB leaders worked closely with the Board of Regents regarding next year’s tuition and fee increase. Plans to lobby the state Legislature in Des Moines are in the works for next semester. Another reflection of student needs, Schneider said, was the transfer of Memorial Union ownership to the university.

Next semester, GSB senators will keep listening, Schneider said.

“We will encourage the senate to keep working with students,” he said.

Always a major event for GSB during spring semester is executive elections. Several students are gearing up to announce their campaigns, while others might be considering running for office. Elections occur in March, with informational meetings beginning in January.

Schneider said “anyone really interested in the position could do well, especially upperclassmen.” He said it is important to have experience with campus involvement and a good sense of how the university operates.

Darr said at least minimal knowledge of the political process is crucial.

“It’s got its own language,” he said. “[Without prior knowledge] it’s just that much more to learn.”