Various emergency contraceptives offered to students

Katie List

College students in Ames have several choices for emergency contraception.

Thielen Student Health Center is part of the 52 percent of university-based health clinics across the nation that offer emergency contraception for pregnancy, according to a study by Susan McCarthy in the Journal of American College Health.

And it’s not new.

“It’s been offered here for years and years,” said Marc Shulman, chief of staff at Student Health.

The two types of emergency contraception available on campus are Plan B and Lo Ovral.

Both are hormone-based contraceptives that disrupt the lining of the uterine wall, which prevents implantation of fertilized egg, Shulman said. Both contraceptives are also available at Planned Parenthood.

“They provide a short burst of hormone exposure, which disrupts the hormonal patterns essential to pregnancy,” said Sarah Carlson, regional director of Planned Parenthood. The Ames office of Planned Parenthood is located at 2530 Chamberlain St.

“The hormone release from the ovary is reduced, and the development of the uterine wall is disturbed.”

To be effective, the contraceptive should be taken no later than 72 hours after unprotected sex, Shulman said.

Planned Parenthood also advises waiting 72 hours or less, but will prescribe them for up to 5 days, Carlson said. She said the pills are about 75 percent effective.

Lo Ovral is a combination drug, containing dosages of the hormones estrogen and progestin. One dose usually consists of 8 pills – four as soon as possible, then another four 12 hours later. The estrogen, however, causes many women to experience nausea and vomit the second dose.

Both the Student Health Center and Planned Parenthood give 12 pills to each woman who requests Lo Ovral, just in case.

Plan B is a progestin-only contraception. It was developed in response to complaints of nausea from other emergency contraception methods.

Progestin is a female sex hormone that helps to prepare the endometrium, or uterine wall, for implantation and placental development. Plan B works similarly to Lo Ovral, but it only requires 2 pills, one taken as soon as possible, then another 12 hours later.

Greg Yeakel, chief staff pharmacist at Thielen Student Health Center, said that both contraceptives are just higher doses of regular birth control. He stressed, however, students should see a doctor or get a prescription before using emergency contraceptives.

Controversy over the availability of the contraceptives has been almost non-existent, he said.

“We do a lot of birth control pills, and contraception is pretty well accepted at Student Health, as it is in the rest of society,” Yeakel said.

Students requesting emergency contraceptives from student health must first consult with a nurse, Shulman said. Prices at student health for Lo Ovral are $8 for a cycle of 12 pills. Plan B costs $21 for 2 pills. Planned Parenthood offers the contraceptives on a sliding scale, according to the patient’s income, Carlson said. The most anyone would have to pay for Plan B is $21 a cycle.

Most students who visit Planned Parenthood in search of emergency contraceptives were already practicing some form of birth control, Carlson said.

“Most of our patients experience method failure [during intercourse],” she said.

A third option is available at Planned Parenthood, in the form of IUD, or inter-uterine device. The IUD can be inserted for up to 7 days after unprotected sex, and stay in for up to 10 years, Carlson said. The cost, however, is much higher than Lo Ovral or Plan B. There is a $150 fee for insertion and the device itself costs $263.