IRHA officials mark awareness of elections, disabilities as primary goals

Jyni Ekins

Residence hall students will gain more control over tuition increases through an IRHA initiative to spread information about voting issues, executives with the organization said.

Educating students about the government is one goal of Inter Residence Hall Association President Keith Twombley.

“The way to get our voices heard is through voting,” he said.

To do this, Twombley said he’ll use a three-pronged plan: distribute voter registration forms in the residence halls; disseminate information on local, statewide and national elections; and provide absentee ballots to students.

As it works toward that goal, however, the organization is struggling with elections of its own. There are still six unfilled cabinet seats.

A variety of circumstances are responsible for the six vacant seats, IRHA Vice President Jessi Raim said in a meeting with Daily editors and reporters.

The group’s secretary, for example, was unable to return to Iowa State this year.

Several other of Twombley’s candidates for the positions were not seated because they live in Frederiksen Court, an apartment complex that is owned by the university but which has its own council separate from the government of IRHA.

IRHA bylaws state students must live in residence halls to be a member of the organization.

“I’d like to see flexibility in this area,” Twombley said. “Some executive branch members don’t necessarily represent the students, they just do a job.”

Twombley and Raim said the positions are expected to be filled within three weeks.

While Twombley works on election issues, Raim said she will organize a disabilities awareness program, possibly including a sign-language course.

Raim said she will also focus on informing students of the procedures the Inter Residence Hall Association adheres to during its open meetings.

“I want to introduce parliamentary procedure to people other than parliament to try to promote a more helpful working environment between student government and students,” she said.

During the summer, Twombley constructed ISU Talk, a message-board Web site for students.

The site is currently in a testing mode, but is open open to the public.

The ISU Talk address is http://isutalk.dhs.org.

“It’s a place for ISU students to meet other students and learn about life at Iowa State,” he said.

“It’s a message board, resource for government and, most importantly, provides a way for students to contact their representatives and learn what’s going on.”

IRHA at a glance

WHAT’S CHANGED:

IRHA officials are testing a message-board Web site called ISU Talk. It can be found at http://isutalk.dhs.org.

WHAT’S PLANNED:

IRHA officials are spearheading various efforts, including a disabilities awareness program and a project to provide information about parliamentary procedure and elections.