Though many students are away, the sports world never stops

Jeff Raasch

Every summer the majority of ISU students leave Ames to take a break from school, complete an internship, work, or do some combination of the three. One thing that stays here is the Iowa State Daily and its sports department.

Unless you are an avid sports fan, you may not have heard about what happened around here this summer.

Four big events came to Ames and a number of local happenings were big news.

Summer events

1. Special Olympics

I’d never been to the Special Olympics until this summer, and I was blown away. The campus was overtaken by determined and energetic people with attitudes that most sports never see. More than 3,000 athletes participated in the weekend festival and more than 700 volunteers helped run it. When the Special Olympics are back in Ames in 2003, attend an event or two. It’s well worth it.

2. Iowa Games

More than 12,000 people of all ages and abilities participated in the Iowa Games, and three new events brought the total to 43. The competition was something to behold. To give you an example, ISU quarterback Seneca Wallace and starting defensive back Atif Austin played in the flag football competition and got third place.

3. Iowa Shrine Bowl

It’s not often that an all-star football game consists of 90 players who are chosen for their community involvement and academic standing as well as their football talent. When the game has players in it that are choosing to attend Harvard, Stanford and a number of other highly regarded Division I universities, it’s not just about football. Jonathan Cochran, a 6-foot-7, 301-pound lineman who will attend Stanford to major in pre-medicine, is just one example of the caliber of athletes who participated. Four Cyclones played: Ryan Kock, Beau Klaffke, Seth Zehr and Cory Wierson.

4. Champions on Ice

This summer Champions on Ice came to town, an event which included various Olympic medalists and other national champions. A unique story made the event twice as interesting. Clint Marsden, an 18-year-old Iowan whose prom invitation was turned down by Olympic gold medalist Sarah Hughes, was in attendance and met Hughes for the first time following the show. The two exchanged personal e-mail addresses and took a bunch of pictures. Plus, the show put on by Michelle Kwan, Victor Petrenko and others was stellar.

Local news

1. Sanderson, Bono make World Team

Cael Sanderson and ISU assistant wrestling coach Chris Bono both earned spots on the U.S. World Team in June. When two former Cyclones earn spots on a seven-man team formed to represent the United States, it’s huge.

2. High school home run race

The national spotlight shone on Marshalltown and Winterset as a home run race resembling McGwire and Sosa’s took place in our own backyard. Jeff Clement and James Peterson both broke the national high school career home run record previously held by Drew Henson. Clement and Peterson finished the regular season tied with 73 home runs, eclipsing Henson’s 70 round-trippers. Marshalltown’s Clement hit two more at the state tournament and finished with a state championship, while Peterson went homerless in Winterset’s first-round loss.

3. Former Cyclone helps Texas win CWS

Alan Bomer, a starting pitcher at Iowa State when the team was cut 16 months ago, transferred to Texas. In 2002, Bomer went 11-3 on the hill for the Longhorns, including two victories in the College World Series. The right-hander helped Texas win the national championship. What a difference a year can make.

4. Hieber resigns

J. Elaine Hieber was the best-kept secret in the ISU athletic department while she served as senior women’s administrator. After 23 years in the department, she resigned this summer with little explanation. Her resume is very impressive: Presidential Service Award in 2001, administrator of the year in 2001 from the National Association of Collegiate Women’s Athletic Administrators, Carrie Chapman Catt Award for Gender Equity in 1992.

5. Eilers, Howard scuffle

Justin Eilers, a starting linebacker on last season’s football team allegedly punched Aaron Howard, a walk-on linebacker who quit the team in 2002, at their place of work. Howard called the cops and said Eilers did steroids and beat his girlfriend. Substances believed to be steroids were found in Eilers’ room during a subsequent search of Eilers’ and Howards’ apartment. Head football coach Dan McCarney said the program is clean and has always been clean while he’s been here.

6. ISU track and field crowns four Big 12 champions

Gina Curtis, Lenka Kalabova, Joey Brunkhorst and Mike Mwangong all took home conference championships from the Big 12 track and field championships. Curtis, Barbara Szlendakova and Lisa Griebel also earned all-American status at the national championships – no small feat.

7. Jack Trice renovation

You’ll see nocturnal Cyclones this year. New lights have been installed at Jack Trice Stadium and a new scoreboard and video screen grace the south end zone above new permanent bleachers, with a ticket price around $2 million. New parking lots have also been paved to the east of the stadium.

8. Iowa, ISU athletes in trouble

Iowa City has gotten most of the attention this summer for athletes in the police reports, but ISU basketball player Omar Bynum was arrested on suspicion of DWI and possession of marijuana. Nick Linder, a member of the football team, was also charged with public intoxication. At the University of Iowa, football player Benny Sapp was stabbed and then arrested for assault. Hawkeye basketball player Sean Sonderleiter was caught with marijuana and guard Brody Boyd was cited for possession of alcohol under the legal age.

9. New Hilton seating

It’s been a long time coming, but students finally have closer seating for men’s basketball games. The catch is that most student sections are along the baselines. Students this summer were mostly positive about the switch.

10. Henderson backs out

Mike Henderson, an all-everything basketball player at Waterloo East High School had a verbal commitment to play at Iowa State in 2003, but backed out in July with no explanation. On Thursday, the senior verbally committed to the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Jeff Raasch is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Odebolt. He is the assignment sports editor of the Daily.