Power’s high school coach: decision soon

Jeff Raasch

Shane Power’s former high school coach, who has been the only person to comment publicly on Power’s departure from Iowa State, said Friday he expects a decision regarding Power’s future school soon.

Clint Swan, who coached Power at Merrillville Andrean High School in Indiana, said he spoke with Power about two weeks ago.

“It sounds as though, you know, I would assume his timeline is winding down,” Swan said. “I’m not 100 percent sure when his decision will be made.”

Power could not be reached for comment.

Power announced his decision to transfer from Iowa State on April 26.

As a sophomore, Power started all 31 games for the Cyclones. He averaged 13.6 points and 4.5 rebounds per game.

Swan said he had been receiving calls from college coaches regularly concerning Power.

He said he believes Power is at his family’s home in Crown Point, Ind. after visiting schools all over the country.

“I talked to him last week before he went out on his visits,” Swan said Friday. “I believe he’s visited four schools since I last talked to him. I do know that he did get to visit all of the schools he wanted to visit.”

Swan could not confirm or deny the names of the schools Power has visited, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette recently reported Power has made visits to New Mexico, Mississippi State, Pittsburgh and Virginia.

According to the Post-Gazette, Power told Mike Sullivan of rivals.com that he is also considering Wisconsin and Notre Dame.

Swan said he just wants to see Power go to a place he’ll enjoy.

“I want to see him go where he’s going to be happy,” Swan said. “I know he had a couple great years at Iowa State. If it’s close to home, great. If it’s on the other side of the earth, great.”

Since Power’s intentions became public last month, there has been no word regarding the reason why Power decided to transfer from Iowa State.

“There were no ulterior motives on either part,” Swan said. “I think Shane was just at a crossroads. In terms of what his reasons were, I think only one person knows that, and that’s Shane Power.”