Recruits brighten future for ISU athletics

Jeff Raasch

GOLF

The ISU men’s golf team has signed another top Iowa prep.

Head Coach Jay Horton announced that T.J. Redding, last year’s class 2A runner-up at the state golf meet, has signed a letter of intent to attend Iowa State next fall.

“T.J. brings a lot of talent to the roster,” Horton said. “He has performed well both locally and nationally and we are looking forward to having him in Ames.”

Redding recently shot a 75 to earn medalist honors at the class 2A sectional meet.

VOLLEYBALL

Nicole Lorenzen, a multitalented outside hitter and Iowa native, will join the ISU volleyball squad this fall.

Lorenzen earned first-team all-conference honors in her final two seasons at Eddyville-Blakesburg and was named an all-district selection last year.

During her junior and senior seasons, Lorenzen earned conference and district honors in basketball, softball and track.

“Nicole is just one of those high school students you look at and she’s just outstanding at anything she does,” Head Coach Linda Crum said. “She’s basically the cream of the crop. She has such a high ceiling as far as how high she can go as a collegiate volleyball player.”

Crum said she’s excited to see what Lorenzen can do at the Big 12 level. She said if she doesn’t contribute athletically, she’ll still be a leader in the gym through her competitiveness, work ethic and determination.

If the Lorenzen name sounds familiar, it’s not a coincidence. Nicole’s father Jerry played football at Iowa State from 1979 to 1982.

SOCCER

Two highly touted soccer players will play for ISU Head Coach Stephanie Gabbert next season.

West Des Moines prep players Kendra Paul and Amy Flores have signed to play for the Cyclones.

“Kendra will add speed and attacking mentality from our backs,” Gabbert said. “She is fast, athletic and tough and has played in a number of regional and national tournaments.”

Paul attended Valley High School and played for the Iowa ODP squad, which took the state cup 12 years in a row.

Gabbert had high praise for Flores as well.

“Amy has great size, speed and is a very good all-around athlete,” Gabbert said. “She will add some attributes that we need and is a smart player who loves to compete and wants to learn and contribute right away.”

SWIMMING AND DIVING

ISU swimming and diving Head Coach Duane Sorenson has signed five high school seniors for next season.

“We have some kids who are going to step up right away and be contributors,” Sorenson said.

The class is led by two-time Iowa 100-yard butterfly champion Kim Rogers of Cedar Falls. Rogers is also a two-time state runner-up in the 100-yard backstroke.

“She’s very versatile and has a lot of potential to improve,” Sorenson said.

Lydia Smirniotis will add depth in the 200-yard butterfly and distance freestyle events.

She was the high point and distance winner in the 2002 Spring USA Swimming Illinois Senior Championships.

Rogers and Smirniotis will be joined by four-time Iowa 100-yard backstroke place-winner Maggie Peterson of Estherville and Tami Ritchie, who was the 200-yard freestyle runner-up in Minnesota. Sorenson said he is looking forward to see Rogers and Smirniotis develop.

He called Ritchie a “diamond in the rough.”

Sorenson said he also expects diver Hillary Nichols to be very competitive next year for the Cyclones.

Nichols, who is from Thunder Bay, Ontario, landed a bronze medal on the 1-meter springboard at the 2001 Canada Games. She was also a five-time Canadian age group national finalist and a two-time finalist at the Canadian Senior Nationals.

“She’s a very good diver,” Sorenson said. “She has a tremendous amount of experience.”

TENNIS

A highly regarded Swedish tennis player has signed a national letter of intent to play for the ISU women’s tennis team next season.

Charlotte LjungKrantz is currently playing at the Nasby Tennis Club and has reached the semifinals in Stockholm’s district championship six times.

LjungKrantz has been ranked as high as 20th in Sweden and is among the top six players in Stockholm.

ISU tennis head coach Michele Conlon said LjungKrantz also scores high marks in the classroom. The 2001-02 ISU tennis squad held a 3.35 GPA.

“When we recruit somebody here to our tennis program, we recruit a total person,” Conlon said. “She seemed to be a good fit. I think she’ll be a solid player for us.”

Conlon added that LjungKrantz will have to adjust to hard courts instead of the clay courts she is familiar with.

Nevertheless, Conlon is optimistic about LjungKrantz’s chances of contributing next season.

“I think she’ll add a nice dimension to our team,” Conlon said.