Art walk highlights campus traditions

Matthew Carlson

Take a trip into the past to discover the traditions of Iowa State through art on campus.

Matthew DeLay, curator of education, will be leading a Campus Walk titled “Campus Life at Iowa State.”

The event will begin at noon Wednesday in the alcove of Catt Hall, which is located on the south side of the building.

“The walk will focus on representations of campus life and how it has changed over the years,” says DeLay.

DeLay will also focus on tradition and history of art at Iowa State.

Scheduled stops on the tour will include the Library and the Campanile.

There will also be a few unscheduled stops.

Christian Petersen’s “Boy and Girl” located at Parks Library is a scheduled stop. DeLay will explain what the work meant to Petersen and how it was representative of the students Petersen taught.

“The walk will be informal and will be made up of several spots including MacKay Hall,” DeLay says.

One topic that will be discussed is students with families and early childhood.

DeLay will talk about how these works depict students at that time and what messages they hold for today.

DeLay will also talk about diversity. He plans to discuss “Border Crossings” by Jimenez Luis, located in the South Courtyard of MacKay. The work depicts a man carrying a woman on his shoulders who is holding a baby. The work commemorates Luis’ grandparents and their immigration from Mexico to the United States.

DeLay will then look at how time has changed our views of the artwork and our views of college students.

“Hopefully we will have some former Iowa State students that will share their memories of the art, and maybe some current students will share their memories as well,” DeLay says.

The event will last about 45 minutes and attendees are encouraged to bring along lunch or a snack.

The Brunnier Art Museum is also in the process of adding new exhibits, said Lynette Pohlman, director and chief curator for University Museums.

“Traveling Bolivia Through the Wonders of Weaving” and “Seed of Indigo and Safflower: The Works of Ji-Hee Kim” will open Sunday at Brunnier.