Jazz Ensemble to perform spring concert

Charlie Weaver

James Bovinette likes to blow his own horn, but plans to leave the performing up to his students on Friday.

Both Jazz I and Jazz II will perform their annual spring concert at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. Admission is $2 for students and $3 for adults.

Bovinette, professor of trumpet and director of the Iowa State University Jazz Ensemble, will direct the Jazz I ensemble, while Gary Kleptach, director of the University Band, will entertain the audience with his Jazz II ensemble.

Kleptach said Jazz II will kick off the performance with selections from some of today’s contemporary jazz artists.

“We’ll be doing the music of Thelonius Monk, Charles Mingus, Buddy Rich and Louis Belson,” he said.

“It’s a nice collage of different tastes and styles of modern-day composers.”

He said Wendy Babeshoff, freshman in music, will also be performing her first vocal solo during a Gershwin piece titled “Summertime.”

Kleptach said this is the first time he has used a student in a vocal solo spot and is encouraged by the new step.

“We’ve had vocal performances before, but we’ve always done it before with professional [vocalists],” he said. “But you’re always surprised with the student talent within the organization.”

Following the first set and a short intermission, Jazz I will perform a diverse program including such selections as “Best Friends,” “Stella by Starlight” and their own rendition of “Summertime.”

Karl Fick, lead alto of Jazz I, said the annual spring concert is just a fun concert to be a part of.

“It’s an excellent opportunity for many of us to step out of a routine and express ourselves,” he said. “The majority of our ensemble aren’t music majors and enjoy the chance to cut loose.”

Fick, sophomore in electrical engineering, said members’ backgrounds range from psychology to computer engineering, and almost every member of Jazz I will be soloing during Friday’s performance.