Strictly Ballroom

Stephanie Kobes

Whether it is executing the steps to the waltz, foxtrot, swing, or salsa, just to name a few, this student organization really knows how to dance the night away.

The Ballroom Dance Company competition team began about three years ago and is currently under the instruction of Jennifer McKay of Knoxville.

“My goal for the Ballroom Dance Company is to broaden Iowa State students’ perspective of what ballroom dance is. I love teaching newcomers and seeing them progress from little experience to becoming better,” she said. “For the advanced students, it is in their blood. They know they want to become better and so it becomes more rewarding.”

Iowa State is considered an ambassador for ballroom dance, as it is the only school in the state to have a competition team.

After paying dues and only a few lessons, anyone is eligible to be part of the Ballroom Dance Company competition team. No auditions are required.

This year’s team is made up of over 20 competitors. The team will be heading to St. Paul, Minn., for its final competition in March.

“Students last year really progressed and have shown a huge improvement,” McKay said. “There are more new students coming in and thus more of an awareness of what is going on.”

“There were usually only about eight students that competed last year and now we have more than doubled it,” said Jill Elgin, graduate student in business administration and competition coordinator for the Ballroom Dance Company.

Elgin started with the company as a freshman, but didn’t begin competing until after a study abroad trip to London.

“I didn’t want to fall behind in my skills while I was away, so I started dancing at a university in London,” Elgin said.

“Once there, they convinced me I had to compete,” she continued. “I learned a lot and loved it, and so when I came back I suggested that we do competitions on a more organized level and thus I became the competition coordinator for the Company.”

The competition team practices every Monday night for two hours. During competitions, teams usually must go through three rounds. They are judged on their technique, footwork, framework, general positioning with partners and, if their style is appropriate for that particular dance, their overall presence.

“The best part about the ballroom dance competitions is the excitement,” McKay said. “I love seeing the costumes and all the people so interested and into dancing. It is what ballroom dancing is supposed to be about. The entire atmosphere is great.”

The competition at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign resulted in six first place finishes, five second-place finishes, five third-place finishes, five fourth-place finishes, eight fifth-place finishes, and seventeen sixth- through eighth-places.

The United States Amateur Ballroom Dance Association Regional Competition in Indianapolis, resulted in one fifth-place finish in the Bronze American Rhythm category, and one fourth-, fifth-, and sixth-place finish in the Silver American Rhythm category. The team also competed and placed in the Bronze American Smooth category with one fourth-place finish and a third- and a fourth-place finish in the Silver American Smooth category.

“Students should join Ballroom Dance Company because it is a good way to meet lots of new people,” Elgin said.

“No partner is required,” McKay said. “I teach all parts individually, we switch partners all the time and it is a lot of fun.”

Students can join at anytime during the semester and the first lesson is free. All classes are in Forker 213. Beginner classes are at 8 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays.

Lessons are at 9 p.m. each Wednesday, and advanced classes are held at 7 p.m. each Friday for smooth dances including the foxtrot, waltz, tango and Viennese waltz. Advanced Latin dance classes, including the rumba, cha-cha, swing, merengue, samba, mambo and salsa, begin at 9 p.m.