Finding the right apartment

Matthew Lischer

Finding the perfect apartment can seem like a huge undertaking. However, if done with precision and care, it can go smoothly.

There are many factors to consider when searching for apartments, including price limits. A good rule of thumb is that your take-home salary should be three times the rent.

Iowa State’s Off Campus and Adult Student Services Web site said units closer to campus are usually more expensive than those located farther away.

“My roommates and I knew before we went searching what we wanted,” said Erin Coffelt, sophomore in psychology.

“Originally we wanted to live close to campus, but after looking around we could get more space for less money by living farther away.”

Options and services – such as location, rent capacity, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, parking, square footage and distance from campus – should be discussed before starting the search for an apartment.

Internet access is also something that should be considered. Depending on each roommate’s major, a high-speed connection may be essential, especially if they’re used to having Internet access readily available.

There is more than one way to find the right apartment in Ames.

Classified ads from property managers, private owners, local apartments and subleases contain information regarding property that is currently available for rent, number of bedrooms, amenities and contact numbers, but not all ads contain price or location.

The Web can be very useful as well, as property managers’ and realtors’ Web sites contain information on availability, amenities, prices and floor plans.

However, most of the Web sites did not include information on Internet access or parking, and the only Web listings are with the big property mangers.

Another great source of reliable information is simply word of mouth.

Friends, who may also be looking for apartments, will have already received information on certain apartments. This may save the time of going to apartment viewings, and friends who are happy with their place may know of openings within their complex.

“A friend told me about an apartment in her complex and of the signing bonus,” said Deb Kleitsch, junior in communications studies. “Until then we had not considered that complex.”

Some of the properties in Ames are designed to have a special appeal.

Sterling University Plains and Cyclone Plaza have both targeted specific audiences.

The Sterling University Plains Web site said the managers are only accepting college students as tenants. This complex features a great deal of amenities and options.

“Cyclone Plaza was designed to offer something with an edge,” said Russ McCullough, owner and vice president of Gateway Real Estate.

He said the unique designs of these apartments are the studio lofts and the two-level units with vaulted ceilings.

The apartments include high-speed Internet access, basic expanded cable with movie channels, washers and dryers on every floor, and a 1,500 square foot rooftop deck with hot tub, McCullough said.