Spring has sprung

Kelley Doran

Sunshine and increasing temperatures can mean it’s more likely to find students sprawled on Central Campus than in lecture halls. Despite the changing weather, however, the classes continue, generally with the most important exams and papers hitting just as the semester ends.

Commonly referred to as spring fever, this yearly phenomenon has a strong impact. As the climate warms up, classes seem to stretch on for hours and students look out the windows longing for that breath of fresh air.

Kim Smith, professor in journalism and mass communication, said he understands students and professors who long for a break as spring approaches.

“By the time we get to the end of spring semester, it’s been a long year, and I think that students and faculty alike are just ready for a break,” Smith said. “I think we are dealing with human nature here.”

Despite some changes in attendance, Smith said he’s noticed very few negative results in terms of grades.

“I notice a drop in attendance to a minor extent, but no clear decrease in test scores,” Smith said. “However, I do tend to notice a certain restlessness in all of my classes.”

Students seem to generate this restlessness, which makes it nearly impossible to concentrate on the huge amount of work that appears at this time.

Aside from study skills and concentration, just getting to class may also be extremely difficult, said Matt Lindberg, freshman in political science.

“I always find it really hard to get up to go to class in the springtime especially, but I am not sure why,” Lindberg said. “I guess it is just a natural thing that everybody goes through to a certain extent.”

As said before, students aren’t the only ones to get this sort of anxiety. Professors, such as Smith, also hastily await the break each year.

“I do tend to not want to be teaching as much towards the end of the school year,” Smith said. “Especially when we get to spring, I begin to look forward to whatever I have planned for break, which is usually travel.”