Exhibition allows for creative outlet

Leah Eaton

Diverse art media from ISU professors and national artists will be combined in the 34th Annual Clay, Fiber, Paper, Glass, Metal and Wood Exhibition at the Octagon Center for the Arts.

Mary Anne Jordan is the visiting juror for the exhibition.

“[Jordan] is a fiber artist and associate professor in textile design at the University of Kansas,” says Teresa Paschke, assistant professor of art and design. “She was chosen out of a list of four recommendations.”

Jordan will also be giving a presentation on her work in the Kocimski Auditorium at the College of Design before the opening at the Octagon Center for the Arts, Paschke says.

“I am very excited to hear her speak,” says Chris Martin, assistant professor of art and design. His piece, a desk made of wood, leather and steel, is included in the exhibition.

“This national exhibition is well represented by ISU,” says Paschke. “[Five] faculty members from art and design, and one from textiles and clothing were selected.”

Along with Martin and Paschke, the faculty members include Christi Harris, Ingrid Lilligren, Tim McIlrath and J.R. Campbell from textiles and clothing.

“There were 261 entries from 95 artists,” she says. “[Jordan] selected 55 works from the slides that were sent to her.”

It is a definite learning experience as well, says Letitia Hansen of the Octagon Center, 427 Douglas Ave.

“With it being a national show, there are people from Ames, New York, California, all over,” she says. “There is a statement displayed with each artist’s work so that you can see where that person is coming from.”

Martin says he agrees the exhibition will enrich creativity.

“I think that in Ames especially, it is important,” he says. “It provides an opportunity for us in the Midwest to see what is going on around the country, and not have to drive to Chicago, or another large city.”

Even with some artists returning, watching the evolution of their art is amazing, Hansen says.

Following Jordan’s presentation will be an opening reception where she will be giving awards to those involved, from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Octagon Center. All events are free and open to the public.