Vocalists sing way to Ames

Kristen Greiner

High school vocalists in Iowa are gathering to showcase their talents this weekend, as Iowa State hosts the second annual Honor Choir Festival.

Director of Choral Activities James Rodde traveled to various sites around the state and listening to live auditions in search of the best of the best.

“They have five minutes with me to audition, and I choose the top people, based on singing ability and musicianship skills,” Rodde says.

He took a number of qualities into consideration when selecting the members of the choir.

“It is everything in the way they present the music and themselves, from sight-reading, how they perform their piece or solo, their poise and intonation,” Rodde says.

Morgan Rippke, freshman in computer engineering, was a member of last year’s Honor Choir. She says “It was important to have a strong voice, but on top of that, confidence and pitch were very important.”

Over 250 students auditioned, but 78 were selected.

Kicking off the festival, students are scheduled to arrive on campus early Sunday to begin sectionals and rehearsals with Rodde and other members of ISU faculty.

“I get excited at the students coming to campus – getting to know more students and directors across the state,” Rodde says. “As a relationship grows, I get more excited. I get to roll up my sleeves and make music with them. It’s fulfilling.”

A showcase of Choral Ensembles will be at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday in the Mary-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. Performing will be the Cantamus Women’s Choir, the Iowa Statesmen and the Lyrica Women’s Choir.

The festival will conclude with a concert at 7 p.m. on Monday in the Mary-Ellen Tye Recital Hall, featuring the Iowa State Singers and the Honor Choir. Both performances are free and open to the public.

“This is the second annual festival,” Rodde says. “I have hopes of its continued growth as it gains a unique spot among Iowa festivals.”