Foreign films featured in February

Matthew Carlson

If you’re tired of the same old Hollywood flicks, then you’re in luck. February is Foreign Film Month, and the Student Union Board will be showing only foreign films throughout the month.

“SUB films is a great way to see films you haven’t seen,” says Tom Seymour, graduate advisor of SUB films.

Screenings usually begin at 8 p.m. Thursday through Sunday in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union, and cost $2 for a single screening and $3 for special double features.

February Foreign Film Month has become an annual event during past years.

Films chosen are mostly nonmainstream or foreign.

“These are films that don’t usually come to Ames or Des Moines,” Seymour explains.

On Feb. 14-16, SUB films will be showing the award-winning Mexican movie “Amores Perros.”

“`Amores Perros’ looks at three different reactions to a tragic car accident,” Seymour says.

Two German movies, “Faust” and “Zentropa,” will round out the month. Both movies will be part of a double feature Feb. 23.

“Faust,” originally released in 1926, is a classic story of good vs. evil. “Zentropa,” released in 1991, follows the life of an American working in a post World War II Germany.

All films are shown in their original language with English subtitles.

Foreign films are not just being shown in February; they will continue to make appearances throughout the semester.

For example, SUB films is planning to run a free Japanese animation festival, with prizes, gifts and posters during Veishea.

“Before Night Falls,” which tells the story of Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas, will be shown in March as part of Awareness Week. The film highlights Arenas’ life in communist Cuba and his struggle as an artist and homosexual.

The rise and fall of the Internet is the premise of “Startup.com,” which is a documentary about two friends who create their own e-business. It will be shown in April.

Attendance at SUB film screenings has increased since last semester, Seymour says.

Seymore says he was surprised at the large turnout for the Weird Al movie “UHF,” since it was being run on VH1.

One of the goals SUB films has for this year is to show more eclectic films and to expand horizons, Seymour says.

Movie listings, times, and locations can be found at the Student Union Board’s Web site, www.sub.iastate.edu/films.