COLUMN:College more than a sequel to high school

Cavan Reagan

Approaching the dusk of the semester, it’s easy to write off the last few months as worthless frustrations, late nights spent on stupid projects and exams devised by devilish professors who thirst for sounds of students passing out over a pile of books.

It’s easy to think it was all a waste, time that could have been better spent in a bar. Thoughts of transferring to a community college in Hawaii or dropping out all together come to mind.

These are just symptoms of a more serious problem – a problem which too many privileged American youths face. Bitching about college, about finals, about studying and boring classes – that’s expected.

But do not let it slip too far from consciousness that college is really just an opportunity, a gateway to some other life not everyone has. It’s not just the sequel to high school, another four-year gap to screw off and delay the entry into the fabled working world.

If classes are really so god-awful boring that it’s that tortuous to listen to a professor speak about it, then switch majors. Find a passion and explore it. We’re supposed to leave here as contributing members of society – the country has met its quota of those who hate their jobs.

Last week a classmate of mine was interested in something the professor had glossed over during a lecture. The classmate wanted more information, and so she asked a question, and then another. A guy behind her mumbled a little too audibly that nobody cared.

My classmate turned around. Looking him in the eye. Said, “I care.” And she meant it. She came to college to learn, and she was doing it.

I care. If it’s that hard to repeat the sentiment, then why be here at all? There’s much work to be done before the world’s a perfect place, and if it’s too hard to find a worthwhile way to spend your time at this university, then leave. You could be the next employee of the month at the Gap if you play your cards right.

There aren’t expectations that we all value and appreciate everything we have. The thing is, we’re all very good at complaining already, and with a little help from college, we’ll soon be able to bring something else to the table as well.

Cavan Reagan is a junior in journalism and mass communication and English from Bellevue, Neb. He is the research assistant for the Daily.