GSB senator will withdraw resolution on need-based aid

Valerie Dennis

A Government of the Student Body senator will withdraw his controversial resolution tonight that would have asked ISU President Gregory Geoffroy to increase the amount of need-based financial aid for students.

The GSB Senate was split last week over the resolution drafted by Tony Luken, LAS. But after GSB President Andy Tofilon and Vice President Charlie Johnson met with Geoffroy last week to discuss financial aid, Luken decided to withdraw the legislation.

Luken said it doesn’t make sense to keep the resolution, because Geoffroy already has set aside money for financial aid next year.

“It’s a dead issue. The resolution doesn’t exist anymore,” Luken said.

“I am the prime author , so I will say I want to withdraw the bill.”

Tofilon would not say how Geoffroy plans to handle financial aid.

“We don’t feel the resolution is appropriate at this time, due to the fact that there are other options placed on the table to increase financial aid,” Tofilon said.

“We don’t want to limit what President Geoffroy can do.”

GSB wants to make sure there is additional financial aid for students adversely affected by tuition increases, Tofilon said.

“I want to . increase financial aid but not adversely affect quality,” he said.

In the end, Luken said he wants to help students.

“I have full faith in President Tofilon to push at the bit and get students’ voices heard,” he said. “This is a university funded on the industrial or middle class. If we can’t make it affordable, it’s essentially called a private university.”

The GSB Senate will meet at 7 tonight in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

Special Orders

A seating bill to name Edward Zechmann as graduate student senator. By Kothenbeutel and Darr.

General Orders

A senate bill to establish the proper codification of constitutional amendments. By Luken and Weaver.

Resolution to increase the proportion of need-based financial aid for students set aside by the university. By Luken, Leege and others.

New Business

A bylaw bill giving the power to seat a senator to the Senate and not the president. By Luken, Kothenbeutel and others.

A funding bill funding the Analysis of the Social Services Evaluation Team with student fees to place a priority on funding programs benefiting ISU students. By Kothenbeutel, Luken and others.

A resolution endorsing changes to the Student Information Handbook concerning the free speech areas on campus. By Luken and Kothenbeutel.

An order restructuring the finance committee. By Kothenbeutel, Stallmann and others.