Women’s swimming dives into action

Nate Frandsen

As the weather grows colder, the atmosphere around the swimming pool is starting to heat up.

The ISU women’s swimming team under the direction of Coach Duane Sorenson has begun its season and is quickly earning some respect around the Big 12 Conference.

“The talent level has gone from night to day, since I started five years ago. Before we tried to gain respect; now we have it from our competition,” Sorenson said. “Now we have athletes who believe they can qualify for the NCAA and place.”

Sorenson said his team this season is very talented, possibility the most talented Iowa State has ever had.

“On paper, this is the best team ever in the history of ISU in women’s swimming,” Sorenson said. “I say that because we return everyone from what was the best team. Plus, we have three additions that are making a great impact.”

With two meets under their belt, the team has a a little bit of an idea about what it can do. They finished fifth at the Big 12 Relays and lost to Minnesota in a dual.

“The Big 12 Relays were disappointing, because of the fact that we didn’t swim to our expectations and potential,” Sorenson said. “We did rebound against Minnesota. Even though we lost, we had some outstanding times and performances.”

Sophomore Suzanne Notbohm said a lot of positive things came out of the relays and Iowa State will continue to look for improvements.

“We hope to move up from fifth,” Notbohm said. “We were fourth for the first couple days then the last day Missouri overtook us on one of the last relays.”

Part of the reason the team has improved is due to its tough practice schedule. They swim Monday, Wednesday and Friday 6 a.m. to 7:15 a.m. Every day they either run or lift from 3 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. and then return to the pool from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. They also put in a few hours on Saturday.

The team returns three all-conference swimmers from last season: sophomores Notbohm and Petra Plaminkova, along with senior Amber McDowell. All three also have at least one school record to their credit.

Notbohm’s events include the 200 individual medley and the 100 butterfly.

“Susanne is a fierce competitor who really will put all she has into each race,” Sorensen said.

Notbohm said she’s ready to have a strong season.

“I had a small knee problem earlier this year. That is better now and I look forward to helping the team more,” she said.

After swimming in many events last season, Plaminkova has cut down to the 200 breaststroke and the 400 individual relay.

“I am swimming in less events this season, and that has allowed me to concentrate more on my two events,” Plaminkova said. “We have been working hard and looking forward to the Big 12 Championships.”

Petra who hails from Prague in the Czech Republic, has given the Cyclones a lift in her second season.

“Petra is a very determined young lady. She works extremely hard when she practices and really loves to compete,” said Sorenson.

McDowell who has seen the transformation of the program first hand, swims the 200 butterfly.

“Amber is a great distance swimmer, and if there was a longer butterfly race she would probably do better,” said Sorenson.

Also bolstering the teams line up are the additions of sophomores Sonja Groning and transfer Lara Skoog, as well as freshman Brita Benson.

Notbohm said, “Our new girls are great. We have really improved as a team because of them.”

The Cyclones will be back in action Friday when they head to Minneapolis for the nine-team Minnesota Invitational.

The first home meet of the year is Dec. 8 against Iowa.