Dorm rooms can be warmed with holiday decorations

Michelle Purviance

A late change in the seasons may make it hard to get in the holiday spirit for some students, but it will soon be time for baking goodies, singing carols, giving gifts and trimming the tree.

Students living in residence halls may not be able to pull the old box of decorations out of the attic like they did at home, but nonetheless, they will find a way to bring the holiday spirit into their rooms and the halls.

Lindsey Mick, freshman in child and family services, is the social chairwoman in Merchant House in Elm Hall.

“Since we are at the end of the hall, we are putting up a tree and some stockings,” Mick said, as she pointed to the empty area outside her room.

In addition to decorating, she said, Merchant House is planning a Secret Santa gift exchange and a Christmas party.

Freeman Hall resident Annie Fanous, freshman in pre-business, said she and her roommate plan to bring some things from home to decorate their room.

“Decorating helps make it seem more like home,” she said.

Fanous said she isn’t sure what they will use, but said they would certainly put up lights.

With Target, Wal-Mart, Kmart and Hobby Lobby just around the corner, students have many places to supply their creativity.

Jason Schulz is the Toy/Seasonal Team Leader at Target, 320 S. Duff Ave. He said a lot of people like to decorate their rooms with the small fiber-optic trees. The trees, which change colors, are inexpensive, running about $20.

“The Christmas mini-lights are popular too, and they’re available in a bunch of different colors,” Schulz said. “Those are really cheap. You can get a 100-count set for only $1.88.”