ISU students still cheer for the Black and Gold

Hannah Fletcher

In a sea of cardinal and gold in Cyclone Country, a few die-hard University of Iowa fans stick out in black.

The Hawkeye fans are seen at every sporting event, cheering on Iowa State’s biggest in-state rival.

Jake Denger, sophomore in agricultural studies, said he is looking forward to the big Iowa State-Iowa football game to support the Hawkeyes – if he can find a ticket.

Denger, a lifelong Iowa fan, had seats behind the Iowa players’ bench at last year’s Cyclone vs. Hawkeye gridiron showdown in Iowa City, he said. He has only been at Iowa State since the beginning of the semester, and Denger has no plans to sacrifice his love for Hawkeye athletics to be an ISU student.

“It proves what a loyal fan I am that I can go to the rival school and remain a [Hawkeye] fan,” he said.

Denger chose to attend Iowa State because his major is not offered at the University of Iowa. He said Iowa State is a “good school” and he liked that Iowa State was close to his Delmar home – but he will always be a fan of the University of Iowa.

To show his love for Iowa, Denger continues to wear his Hawkeye gear, despite criticism and questions from other students. But he isn’t the only ISU student with U of I paraphernalia.

Anna Stephan, freshman in anthropology, brought her University of Iowa sweatshirts to school with her, and she is proud to wear them on campus. She said she has received comments from fellow students. But she has her reply ready.

“I’m like, `Hell yeah – go Hawks,’ ” Stephan said.

Stephan, an Iowa City native, chose Iowa State because the University of Iowa campus was too familiar to her, she said.

“When you live in Iowa City for 15 years, you get a big taste of what the Iowa campus is like,” she said. “It was just too close to home.”

For Iowa City native Lily Erdahl, her love for the Hawkeyes is “kind of a genetic thing.”

Her parents and grandparents met while attending the University of Iowa, and she said her brother currently attends the University of Iowa. Erdahl said she has been going to Iowa athletic events since she was a young girl – and she receives grief from her family when Iowa beats Iowa State.

Erdahl said she chose Iowa State because the University of Iowa was too close to home for her, and she enjoys the ISU campus. She has become a Cyclone fan as well as a Hawkeye fan.

“I root for Iowa State whenever we’re not playing Iowa,” said Erdahl, senior in biology.

On game day, Stephan and other ISU students who are loyal to the Hawkeyes will be crossing their fingers for a University of Iowa victory.

“I will be wearing my Hawkeye apparel, cheering for the Hawks,” Stephan said.