ISU student creates CD to help bring in donations

Erin Randolph

After the national tragedy on Sept. 11, many people are left wondering how they can help.

For college students the options seem minimal. Donating blood is free and necessary, but for some it doesn’t seem quite enough.

Another possible option is to make a monetary donation to one of the many funds available to aid New York and Washington, D.C.

One ISU student has found an inexpensive way to raise money that any student, faculty member or community member can take part in.

Mike Baustian, sophomore in art and design, decided the best way he could help was to write a song in tribute of the events.

With the expenses that come being in college, not everyone can afford to donate a considerable amount of money. But combined with the support of other people, the donation could be more significant.

Baustian, like so many others, doesn’t have enough money to donate on his own to make a considerable difference.

“It’s going to cost a lot of money to fix things, so I was hoping to find a way that I could get ISU students involved,” Baustian said. “I was just trying to find the best way I could to donate a substantial amount of money.”

This song, titled “The Day the Nation Cried,” will be placed on a CD that Baustian plans to sell for $5. All proceeds will go to United Way’s September 11th Fund.

“When I send the donations it will be on behalf of Iowa State students, faculty and friends,” Baustian said. “I’m planning on sending a full list of contributors.”

“The Day the Nation Cried” is available for listening at http://midre.com/song. Baustian made the song on his own using a keyboard, acoustic guitar, computer software, microphones and mixers.

Anyone interested in buying the CD can do so directly from Baustian. Requests for the CD can be sent to his e-mail address, listed on the Web site. Baustian said mail order is also an option.

He will also be selling them on campus Wednesday and Thursday from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. by the fountain in front of the Memorial Union. Donations will also be accepted from those who want to help out, but don’t necessarily want to get the CD.

Baustian is hoping his song will give ISU students an incentive to help.

“I felt the need to do something, and I wanted to find a way to get Iowa State students involved,” he said. “By offering something in return, the students might be more willing to help out and get involved.”

Whether students buy Baustian’s CD or not, he just hopes students feel the need to help out, even if it’s only a little.

“I want to make sure students keep all the victims in their thoughts and just keep their eyes on the news and pay attention to what develops,” Baustian said. “Just do all you can to help out.”