Weekend open houses

Katie List

All undergraduate colleges are hosting Family Weekend open houses or special events Saturday morning before the Iowa State-Baylor football game.

The Colleges of Agriculture, Design, Engineering, Family and Consumer Sciences and Liberal Arts and Sciences are holding receptions and open houses.

The open houses provide an “academic perspective for families when they come for Family Weekend,” said Julie Larson, Alumni Association director of Student Career Programs. “Students also get the chance to visit with administrators in the college on a more informal basis.”

The receptions and open houses include tours and informal programs, and college officials can answer questions.

Family Weekend serves as the culmination of Business Week for the College of Business.

Saturday’s events include groundbreaking of the new Gerdin Business Building at 9 a.m., said Deb Noll, academic adviser to the undergraduate business program.

The new building will sit at the corner of Union Drive and Knoll Road, formerly home to Osborn Cottage.

The College of Education is celebrating Educator’s Day in conjunction with Family Weekend, said Laurie Youmans, secretary in education administration.

“They are hosting a tailgate party two hours prior to entry on the south side of the stadium,” she said.