It’s not always easy being green

Michelle Kann

It’s tough to be an environmentalist in today’s world. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, people were concerned about the environment.

They were looking for solutions to a huge worldwide problem.

The generation before us established Earth Day, along with starting recycling programs in every community.

As children, we heard the phrase “reduce, recycle and reuse” more than a million times.

But today these earth-friendly movements have become a thing of the past. Sadly, more and more products are being designed to be used once and then thrown away.

Just the other day, I saw a TV commercial advertising a plastic child’s bib for one-time use. I was horrified.

When I was little, cloth bibs stained with spaghetti sauce and Oreo cookie crumbs could be tossed in the washing machine.

Oh wait, that was back when people cared about the environment.

Today, convenience rules America.

One short trip to the grocery store and a buyer is presented with various one-time use products such as plastic “disposable” razors, throwaway facial cleansing pads and foil baking pans.

Today’s culture of convenience makes it tough on environmentalists, and the future looks a little bleak. But it doesn’t have to be. We can make a difference.

Most college students return aluminum cans in order to get their five cent deposit. That’s a small start.

But since the deposit system works, let’s expand on it. We could learn from our northern neighbors.

In Nova Scotia, after burning their trash for years, public officials decided it was time for an environmental change. By promoting recycling, reusing and composting, the Canadian province was able to reduce its amount of garbage by 50 percent in five years.

One of the things they did was to establish a deposit system for all beverage containers. The return rate was an overwhelming 80 percent.

What was accomplished in Nova Scotia is amazing. And it needs to start here.

This university needs to be more environment-friendly. The changes could be small and make a big difference. A few more recycling bins would be a great first step. Or even some changes in the way food is served on campus.

For example, at the University of Wisconsin, the student union encourages students to buy reusable plastic mugs instead of disposable styrofoam cups.

The $2 mugs can be refilled for 20 percent less than the cost of buying a styrofoam cup of the same size.

Wisconsin student union officials estimate that use of the red Badger mugs is saving 400,000 styrofoam cups a year from ending up in a landfill.

Being an environmentalist should be easy. All it takes is a little time and energy.

As much as I lecture my friends about recycling, I also make poor environmental choices daily.

I know riding Cy-Ride would be better for the environment and save me money, yet I drive to campus every day. I like the convenience.

I realize I should find a place in Ames to recycle glass containers and newspapers, but the garbage can is right there in my kitchen.

I tell myself I don’t have the time to drop items off at the local recycling center.

I have learned 2 percent of the total U.S. landfill volume is disposable plastic diapers. Yet, cloth diapers don’t seem nearly as easy to use.

I give into convenience because everyone else seems to not care.

But I’m working to think more about the environment daily. You can do the simple things too.

Recycling, like voting, depends on an individual making the difference.

Please take the time to make the difference.

Michelle Kann is a senior in journalism and mass communication from Garnavillo. She is editor in chief of the Daily.