Summer workshops, classes give local artists opportunity to hone skills

Jeff Mitchell

For many students, summer is a time to try new things there isn’t time for during the school year.

Summer art classes at local studios are available for those who would like to explore their creative side. These classes and workshops offer hands-on experience under the supervision of educated artists.

The Octagon Center for the Arts, 427 Douglas Ave., offers adult classes at beginning and experienced levels as well as a number of courses for children.

Kate Fisher, education supervisor for the Octagon, says the Octagon is open to everyone.

“We cover the gamut,” she says. “People who come in include artistic high school students who want to work in a manner above and beyond their level, college students who want classes that aren’t offered by the university and adults who are looking for something to do.”

Programs at the Octagon range from acting and dance to photography and ceramics. Most adult classes meet one day a week for six weeks.

Course prices are usually between $30 and $100.

Fisher says her goal at the Octagon is to give the public an opportunity to engage in the arts. Teachers listen to what students have to say in order to take their work to the next level, she says.

“I taught the beginning ceramics class last session,” Fisher says. “We had people in that class who had never seen a potter’s wheel and I can tell you that every one of them walked out with a finished piece of art.”

The Workspace, located in the basement of the Memorial Union, is another Ames studio offering a variety of summer art programs to the public.

Theresa Cannon, program director of arts for the Workspace, says the studio features classes led by instructors from a wide variety of backgrounds. Courses include belly dancing, hemp jewelry making and kite building.

“During the summer, we try to shorten our classes, because people travel a lot,” Cannon says.

The Workspace houses a ceramics studio, a darkroom, a screenprinting studio and a woodshop, which are all available at a daily fee of $2 for students or $3 for non-students.

Creative Artists’ Studios of Ames, 130 S. Sheldon Ave., offers workshops taught by artists and art students many Saturdays.

CASA President Lee Anne Willson says CASA started providing studio space for artists last January. It has opened a shop and provided public programming on Saturday’s since February.

The workshops are usually inexpensive and anyone can come to watch. A schedule of events is listed on their web site at www.creativeartists.org.

“We want to provide a center where amateur and professional artists and art students can develop their skills and find ways to share their art with many people,” Willson says.