Veekner welcomes new league

Jonathan Lowe

This summer, Iowa State students who want to hit the links have a chance to do so.

The Cyclone Team League is giving students who are in Ames the opportunity to play competitively for various prizes.

The league will start June 4th and will cover a 12-week span through mid-August.

Veekner Memorial Golf Course will host the league competition, which will pit two-person teams against each other every week.

Mark Pollmann, Veekner’s assistant clubhouse manager, said this will be the first year of this particular league.

“We’ve had a faculty league in the past, but that’s kind of dwindled in numbers,” he said. “So we thought we’d do something for the students. We’ve had some interest, but we still have plenty of openings.”

Pollman hopes that younger people will have an interest in learning and playing the sport.

“Basically, we’re trying to find groups of people that might want to come out and play,” he said. “There are quite a few of students that stay on campus over the summer, and it’s something fun to do.”

Pollman also said that golf helps to build character for the players involved.

“The game is totally on your honor,” he said. “You don’t have a referee, so you have to call your own penalties.”

People with different skill levels will compete against each other using a handicapped system. A handicap, the average number of strokes a golfer will shoot over par, will be assigned to each player as well as every team.

Pollman said that this will ensure that matches will be more even.

Chris Aikens, a graduate student in chemical engineering, just picked the game up last year.

“I enjoy playing golf and I thought it would be a good way to get out and play,” he said.”

Rhonda DeCook, a more experienced player to the game, is excited to play on a course as storied as Veekner.

“I was a golfer in high school and it was a good chance to get out there and meet new people,” said DeCook, a graduate student in statistics. “I’ve played Veekner a couple of times and I really like the course.”

Kolby Beemer, a senior in animal ecology, will compete in his first league competition alongside his brother, Korey.

“It’ll be fun,” he said. “We can depend on each other. I really miss playing competitive golf and I played all four year in high school,” he said. “It should be fun to get back into it.”

Beemer and DeCook both agree that there should be more leagues like the newly developed one.

“Hopefully the league will get some really good feedback and continue it into the fall and spring semesters,” she said. “We’re really busy as students, but to take a couple hours a week to meet new people outside of your area is really nice.”

DeCook said that she’s looking forward to the league’s start.

“It’s very laid back atmosphere, and it’s just good exercise,” she said. “Hopefully, I’ll be playing it throughout my life.”