Security makes changes for 2001

Sara Drewry

Students will be patrolling Campustown streets during Veishea to bolster security for the celebration.

Veishea Security is the largest committee associated with Veishea and is responsible for helping make the celebration a risk-free environment for all those who attend.

There are some differences between the Veishea Security Committee this year from last year.

“We are incorporating the greek system into our area this year,” said Brent Perry, senior in agricultural studies and co-chair for the Veishea Security Committee.

He said that in past years, student DPS officials patrolled the area, but this year students from the committee will be.

“We’ll be at different events to help students with various emergency situations,” Perry said.

The committee also changed its name from Peer Security to Veishea Security, said Jen Fritz, junior in genetics and a co-chair for the Veishea Security Committee

Fritz said the change was to show the community that aides are there for them as well and not just for the students.

“We are just hoping for a safe and fun celebration,” Perry said.

Fritz said there will be about 60 security aides on duty during the evening shifts.

“There will not be a concentration of security in one area, they will be spread throughout, from the [Lied Recreation Center] to the greek system to Welch Avenue,” Perry said.

Perry said that last January the committee recruited for the security aide positions.

About 250 students applied for the positions, and 110 were trained during six meetings, Fritz said.

He said the 110 security aides will act as liaisons between the students and the law enforcement agencies, including the Department of Public Safety and the Ames Police Department.

Perry said the students have been working with the departments since the fall to prepare for the big event.

The Ames Police Department, DPS and Homeward, an affiliate of Mary Greeley Medical Center, helped conduct the training. Perry said the Ames Police Department trained them in conflict management.

“They came and talked to us about different ways to handle situations,” he said. “We don’t want to be the people there to break up the fight.”

DPS trained the aides in self-defense, and the Homeward personnel trained the aides in first aid, Perry said. Police will be teaching the aides to use radios as well.

“We are not here to get students into trouble,” Perry said. “We are just students here to help other students.”