Freshman `powers’ Cyclone men off the bench

Jordan Gizzarelli

ISU freshman Shane Power has been the first player off of head coach Larry Eustachy’s bench all season. The Cyclone sixth-man has been called on by Eustachy to provide defense, rebounding, and more recently, some scoring. The 6-5, 210 guard/forward has done anything and everything asked of him up to this point, and not to mention, a huge reason for the Cyclones’ school best 22-3 record and current No. 6 ranking in the Associated Press and ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ Poll.The Crown Point, Ind., native recently had a breakout offensive game against conference foe, Kansas, that saw him score 18 points, tying a school record for three-point shooting accuracy with his perfect 4-4 performance from three-point range. Although Power averages 3.8 rpg and only 4.7 ppg for Iowa State, he is no stranger when it comes to scoring. While attending Merrillville Andrean High School, he was the school’s all-time leading scorer with 2,110 points. In his senior season, Power was a finalist for the prestigious Indiana Mr. Basketball Award and led his team to the state championship game at Conseco Fieldhouse, home of the Indiana Pacers.”My favorite moment of my high school career was playing at Conseco Fieldhouse in the state championship. That’s what you dream of since you’re a little kid,” Power said. “Every year from my freshmen year on, I got a little bit closer, a little bit closer, a little bit closer and finally got there my senior year.”Power broke the hearts of many Hoosiers when he chose Iowa State over Gene Keady and Purdue. He also turned down the likes of USC and Alabama to wear the cardinal and gold.”A lot of people wanted me to go there [Purdue], but I just didn’t feel it was the right place for me at the time,” Power said. “Looking back on it as this year has gone, hopefully I think I was right.”Power’s success this season can be attributed to nothing more than hard work and a desire to be the best.In the summer, Power plays pickup games in nearby Gary with the likes of NBA players Glenn Robinson, Vin Baker and Bryce Drew. In addition, he works out with former Purdue All-American and ABA great Rick Mount to perfect his shot.”To me, he’s the best shooting teacher in the country, there’s no doubt about it,” Power said. “He teaches the best form and the best release. He was the best shooter ever to play the game in most people’s opinion and still is. He still could outshoot anyone in the world, I’ve seen him hit 200 three-pointers in a row — he just doesn’t miss. So, it’s awesome being able to work with him and I’m still not even anywhere close to where I’m probably going to be through some tedious work with him.”During the season, Power and teammate/friend Jake Sullivan, work emphatically at perfecting their craft. They work out on weeknights after practice, lift weights on the weekends and basically are the epitome of the word ‘gymrat.’ That may be why Power did not take much offense to the recent comments of Kansas center Eric Chenowith.”I think one way you can describe Jake and myself’s work ethic is that of a Division III player trying to become a Division I player,” Power said. “[Chenowith] may be right, but I know on Friday nights we’re in the gym acting like we’re Division III players trying to make it to Division I. That’s the kind of mentality and work ethic we take.” Not every Friday night, we hope? “No, not every Friday night,” Power said.The play of Power and the rest of his teammates has done much to excite the ISU community about the team’s chances of making a run at a Final Four appearance. But as Power explains, Cyclone fans are not the only ones who are excited.”It’s definitely exciting. We’ve got some momentum going and we’ve got some big wins, so I think we’re all excited, and more excited about getting better,” Power said. “It’s kind of exciting when you know you’ve won nine straight games but you haven’t played your best yet.”Power will bring his Big 12 Conference leading 54.2 percent [13-24] three-point shooting into tonight’s game against Kansas State in Manhattan where the Cyclones will seek their 10th straight conference win. Iowa State won the first meeting of the teams on Feb. 3, 84-78. Wildcat guard Larry Reid burned Iowa State for 30 points that game, but Jamaal Tinsley matched his career high of 26 points that game to lead the Cyclones to victory. Martin Rancik added 18 points.