Prevention is key to avoiding cold, flu

Rachael Meyerink

Dry heaves, a runny nose and the hacking up of phlegm. A bad cold and a case of the flu welcomed Eric Knudtson, junior in graphic design, back to Iowa State after winter break.”I felt like I wanted to sleep all day, every day,” he said.Knudtson is not alone in his suffering.The cold and the flu, two of winter’s most common illnesses, can wreak havoc on the bodies of college students, who are more susceptible to getting sick. Lifestyles characterized by residence halls, crowded classrooms, fatigue and poor diets make the cold and flu viruses a serious threat to students, said Terry McGeeney, family medicine physician at McFarland Clinic’s West Ames location, 3600 West Lincoln Way. “The cold and the flu have definitely arrived to the ISU campus,” said Marc Shulman, staff physician at the ISU Student Health Center. “Half of my day is spent treating students with the cold or flu.”The cold and flu often appear together, but each have distinct characteristics, Shulman said. The flu is characterized by a high fever, body aches and a dry cough, while colds are accompanied by a lower fever, runny nose and phlegm production, he said.Both of these illnesses are caused by a viral infection and cannot be cured by antibiotics, Shulman said.While there are no medications to cure the flu, experts said there are ways to treat the symptoms.”Drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest to help maximize your body’s effort to fight [colds and the flu] off,” McGeeney said.Warm fluids, like chicken soup, also help relieve cold and flu symptoms, McGeeney said.There are also medications to help ease cold and flu symptoms.”I took Dayquil, Nyquil, cough drops, cough medicine and lots of vitamin C pills,” Knudtson said.Dave Amdahl, pharmacist at Osco Drug, 207 S. Duff Ave., said Sudafed is the best decongestant to ease a stuffed up and drippy nose. For the flu, he recommended Tylenol.Shulman also recommended Tylenol or Advil over asprin-containing pain-relievers, which can induce Reye’s Syndrome, causing severe respiratory problems in young adults with the flu.While these medications may help relieve symptoms, Amdahl said the only sure cure for the cold and flu is time.Becky Hammitt, dietitian at the ISU Student Wellness Center, also said eating a healthy diet is one way to prevent illness. Eating foods containing vitamin C, such as orange juice and broccoli, and those with zinc, such as red meat, as well as foods like yogurt, which contains active bacteria cultures, help to boost the body’s immune system, she said.Exercise also helps the body’s immune system function properly, Shulman said.One of the best ways to prevent the cold and flu is to practice proper hand-washing, Shulman said. Washing hands for 20 seconds under warm water with soap before eating and after going to the bathroom can eliminate germs carrying the cold and flu viruses, he said.Another effective way to prevent the flu is by getting a flu shot, which is available at the Student Health Center, he said.However, the shot only prevents the respiratory flu, not the stomach flu, characterized by vomiting and diarrhea, Shulman said.Colds and the flu are common illnesses; they generally come and go in three to five days. However, the common cold or flu can sometimes turn into something more serious, McGeeney said.”Sometimes a viral infection can turn into a bacterial super-infection, which can result in pneumonia or bronchitis,” he said.If a cold or flu lasts more than three days, if a fever of 103 degrees or greater persists for 24 hours, and if nasal discharge or cough excretions are colored, McGeeney advised seeing a doctor.Meningitis, a potentially deadly disease, can sometimes be passed off as the flu. Shulman said students who experience a severe headache and a stiff neck should go to the Student Health Center.Knudtson said he was glad to see his bout with the cold and flu end. “Don’t get it,” he said. “It will take you out for a couple of days.”