Sketching Iowa State

Dewayne Hankins

The new year will finally ring in for Sketch as the ISU magazine celebrates the release of its fall issue tonight at the Maintenance Shop. Fresh off the presses, the new issue is filled with poetry, fiction, nonfiction and visual art.The event will showcase the student submissions that are in the magazine, as authors read their selections and artists display their work.It will also serve as an opportunity to hand over the task of editing the spring issue to new editors.”We had more visual arts submissions than we’ve ever had,” spring editor Misty Reynolds said. “So this issue focuses more on the visual arts.”This semester the magazine received 196 submissions from 74 students. From those submissions four fiction pieces, one non-fiction piece, 19 poetry works and 16 visual art works were chosen. Although Sketch gets enough pieces to fill its pages, the editors of the magazine would like to see more people submitting their work.”I want as many people to submit as they can.” Reynolds said. “It is a student-run thing. If we don’t have a student submitting then there is no magazine.” “There are a lot of students who aren’t aware of it or they’re not confident enough or don’t get enough information about it in time for the deadline,” fiction editor Cavan Reagan added. “There are only a handful of students on campus that are submitting stuff.”To choose what goes into the magazine, a voluntary panel meets and discusses what will stay and what will go.”We meet and assess after we read the packets of submissions and then we pick up what we agree on.” Reagan said. “Then we debate over all the pieces and see which ones are the best. All the submissions are read anonymously.”Reynolds has high hopes for Sketch, which has been on the rise in the past few years. The magazine has been around the campus for most of the 20th century, but there were a few years where it wasn’t released for lack of interest.”I would like to see our numbers to increase one-hundred fold,” Reynolds said. “Students just don’t realize that this magazine exists.”With tonight’s presentation, students can discover what Sketch has to offer.”We invite everyone that was published to read or display [their work],” Reagan said. “We let them read their pieces and then we hand over the magazine to the new staff.”