GSB to decide on student fees

Steven Brittain

The Government of the Student Body will decide tonight if they want to adopt a budget concerning the redirection of student fees.

Due to the Iowa Board of Regents vote to separate student fees from tuition, student fees will be increased to roughly $56 per semester for each student.

Student leaders and the administration have agreed to allow student input to be considered in where this money should be spent.

The GSB Student Fees Committee and Interim President Richard Seagrave have determined that the students will set up a proposal for the redirection of this money to specific areas of the university, said Alex Olson, student fees senator.

Olson, vice chairman of the finance committee, said Seagrave’s proposal to the board was presented so the regents would be fully aware of the student control of this money.

“Seagrave presented the proposal so that the board knew that he was going to work with the students,” said Olson, off-campus. “The regents knew from the beginning that the students would be involved with the decision-making.”

The proposed budget calls for 60 percent of the funds to be allocated to undergraduate priorities, 15 percent to graduate priorities, 14 percent to library improvements and 11 percent reverts back to student financial aid.

Brian Anderson, president of the Graduate Student Senate, said the percentages were derived from a formula that would send four-fifths of the money into undergraduate improvements and one-fifth into graduate improvements, in proportion to the number of students in each.

Finance Director Steve Medanic said the authors of the budget wanted to distribute the money fairly to the areas that needed it.

“The student makeup of Iowa State is roughly 20 percent graduate students and 80 percent undergraduate,” he said. “We believe that we reflected this in the breakdown and that we have a fair representation of how the students feel.”

Seagrave said the increase in student fees is not an additional cost that will be added on top of the 9.9 percent tuition increase.

“When you break this all out, the effect of the raise in student fees is equivalent to a 2.6 percent increase in tuition,” he said. “When this is added on top of the 7.3 percent actual tuition increase, you get the 9.9 percent number that the board came up with.”