Strike up the bands

Dewayne Hankins

It may very well be the proudest day of the year for the ISU Music Program. Every year in early November, a near sell-out crowd enters the Stephens Auditorium and spends almost two hours listening to the diverse sounds of nearly 500 musicians of the Iowa State music program.

Sunday’s “Band Extravaganza” will showcase four of the program’s finest bands, including the Wind Ensemble conducted by Mike Golemo, the Jazz band conducted by James Bovinette, the Symphonic band conducted by Marty Province and the Cyclone Marching Band — in its only indoor performance of the year — also conducted by Province.

“It’s one thing to hear them outside compared to hearing them inside,” Golemo says. “You need to be able to appreciate the musicianship without the distraction of the outdoor performance.”

The marching band is the largest of the four bands playing, with approximately 300 members involved. Golemo says this performance is usually the encore of the marching band’s season. However, he hopes things will be different this season, considering the chances of the football team making it to a bowl game.

Golemo also stresses that it’s not necessarily easier for the marching band to play in a sit- down performance. Although it may be more difficult to perform outside, inside the band members have to pay more attention to their music.

“You have to pay attention to pointing toes, direction, and alignment,” Golemo explains. “But it’s more challenging musically. You really need to focus on the musicianship. Most people are discriminating [when you’re playing inside].”

Cyclone Marching Band conductor Marty Province says it’s easier for the student conductors to play an indoor concert but it can be tougher for the musicians.

“It’s a little bit easier because we aren’t spread out all over the field,” Province says. “They have to be careful about how loud they play and how much sound they put through the instruments.”

Marching Band trumpet player Matt Van Horn says playing the “Band Extravaganza” is a good change of pace, but it’s not much easier than marching.

“I really enjoy getting out on the field at halftime but it’s a good change of pace,” Van Horn says. “When you’re out at Jack Trice Stadium, you obviously worry about the music you’re playing. But it becomes more of an issue when you’re trying to play in a confined space.”

Van Horn also anticipates the marching band’s season to be extended a bit longer due to the unexpected success of the football team and the possibility of a bowl game.

Golemo, who is also the director of bands at Iowa State, expects to sell more than 2,500 tickets to the event, making it the biggest performance of the year for the music program. For many of the students, excluding the marching band members who play to much larger crowds at Jack Trice Stadium, this may be the biggest concert of the year. “It lets the bands go to Stephens and play for a lot of people and it raises money for us,” Province says. “It’s a good chance for the students to play to big crowds.”

Golemo adds that the concert is a good opportunity to help influence a prospective student’s choice to go to Iowa State as many high school band directors will often ask to bring their schools to the performance. Many high schools leave the show with a good idea of what the ISU music program is all about, he says.

“High school students, families, fans, and prospective members of the bands all come to this performance,” Golemo says. “Some people would be surprised how much it affects a student’s decision to come here.”

The ISU music program utilizes approximately 800 students a year in the various bands and choirs. However, only 150 of the students are actually music majors.

“To some it’s their main course of study,” Golemo says. “But to some it’s just a talent they want to express, and this show may be the best time for them to do it.”

The jazz band will only be playing two numbers at the “Extravaganza,” but, as director James Bo-vinette stresses, the show’s purpose is to showcase all the bands, no matter how long each plays.

“This is really a team thing rather than an individual thing,” Bovinette says. “It’s important for the jazz band to play.”

Golemo would hope that students could make their way out to see just what the Iowa State band program is about.

“It’s a fun concert and it’s fast-paced,” Golemo says. “A wonderful break from studying and a great way to share in the enthusiasm of the Big 12. There’s nothing more spiriting than when the marching band plays the fight song.”