Excessive caffeine may lead to dependence

Rachael Meyerink

Caffeine is part of the daily routine for some students, who turn to the drug to stay awake through all-nighters and early morning classes.

Caffeine acts as a stimulant on the central nervous system, keeping the body alert, but experts said people who take in too much of the drug could develop a dependence. “It definitely helps you wake up,” said Jeanne Burkhart, staff psychologist at ISU Student Counseling Services.

Under normal circumstances, caffeine is harmless, Burkhart said. However, she said there is such a thing as too much caffeine. When someone drinks too much caffeine, they start to experience caffeine intoxication, she said. Shaking, anxiousness, a tingling sensation in the extremities and a dry mouth characterize the condition.

Excessive caffeine intakes can also cause an increased heart rate and the formation of fibrous lumps in the breasts of females, Burkhart said.

When someone has reached this stage of caffeine dependency, they will experience “caffeine withdrawal,” where an individual experiences headaches and tremor in the absence of caffeine’s influence, said Marc Shulman, staff physician at the Student Health Center.

“If I don’t have caffeine, I start to get a headache,” said Olivia Miller, senior in child and family services.

Miller said she turns to Diet Coke to calm her caffeine headaches and usually drinks two to four cans a day.

“Under circumstances of caffeine withdrawal, one needs to decrease caffeine intake gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms,” Shulman said.

Shulman said more than six cans of caffeinated beverages per day can form a caffeine addiction.

Some students try to load up on caffeine by taking drugs such as No-Doze or Vivarin, Shulman said. However, she said these drugs can only do so much.

“You will not be alert, even though you are awake,” Shulman said. “Your retention while studying will be decreased.”

While Burkhart said most students should not shy away from an occasional can of Mountain Dew to get them through their 8 a.m. class, there are some who should avoid caffeine. People who are naturally anxious, have an increased heart rate and have difficulty sleeping should stay away from caffeine, she said.

For the rest of the population, “caffeine in moderation is okay,” Shulman said. “Don’t change your lifestyle over one cup of coffee.”