Goal-oriented GSB

The Government of the Student Body executives and Cabinet are trying to develop five goals to guide the future of GSB. Since GSB could potentially have a large effect on student life at Iowa State, we on the Daily editorial board would like to offer our suggestions for a few concrete goals. 1. Continue to take the lead in campus activism. The current administration has done a great job organizing demonstrations and lobbying, and we hope they will continue to do so. Although results from these demonstrations may be minimal, it’s good to know our student government is out there fighting for the students. 2. Focus on what’s important. If GSB wants to be taken seriously, its members should concern themselves with issues important to students and not dress codes for its members. The issue is not whether a lot of time is being wasted with these bills – the issue is that any time talking about dress codes is wasted time. 3. Get out, be visible and talk to students. Most GSB members have very little visibility on campus – many students don’t know who their GSB representative is. Visit house meetings, talk to large classes and use the free speech zone so students feel closer to their GSB representative. 4. Eliminate the free speech zone and the rules surrounding it. The whole campus should be a forum for free speech, and this is now a reachable goal. At the very least, try to establish a second free speech zone so students have more than one area to “freely” express their opinions. 5. Make sure students are well-represented in the presidential search. Help the search committee find a president who knows students come first at Iowa State. We encourage GSB senators to focus on issues that have a real affect on the experience of ISU students. Representing 25,000 students is a daunting task, and GSB is taking a step in the right direction in establishing goals. Editorial Board: Carrie Tett, Greg Jerrett, Katie Goldsmith, Amie Van Overmeer, Andrea Hauser and Jocelyn Marcus