ISU women’s golf 10th at Husker Invite

Jonathon Lowe

The Cyclone Women’s Golf team started their fall season by finishing tenth at the Alltel Husker Invitational in Lincoln, Neb. The team completed the invitational with a score of 951. The squad was led by sophomore Laura Wells, who finished in a tie for thirteenth place after shooting a final three round score of 229. The host team from Nebraska won the tournament with a score of 901. Texas Tech finished thirteen shots back to place second, followed by Oklahoma in third. Weather conditions made players struggle with their games during the first two rounds. “It was pretty windy,” freshman Lisa Meshke said. “The majority of us didn’t play very well on the first day.” Despite the rough first day, the Clones saw many bright spots to take with them into future competitions. “I feel we kind of struggled the first two rounds,” said senior Heather Elenbaas, “but we managed to come back and post some good numbers in the last round.” “It was a good tournament experience for a lot of us,” Meshke said. This was her first collegiate tournament. The Huskers not only won the invitational, but also placed two golfers in the top six. Sarah Sasse took medalist honors as low golfer of the tournament, shooting a one-over par 217. Amanda Sutcliffe finished in a four-way tie for third place with a total of 226. After Wells, four other ISU golfers finished within four shots of each other. Elenbaas shot 241, senior Noel Jacobusse finished at 243, Meshke completed the competition at 244, and sophomore Sarah Gilbert had a final score of 245. Freshman Claire Stephanson competed as an individual, finishing her first tournament as a collegiate golfer with a score of 252. The Cyclones get right back on the course as they head to Cedar Falls to compete in the Panther Classic on Sunday and Monday.