Judo club build character

Nicol Ausen

The words courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control and indomitable spirit are painted in large letters on the wall of the martial arts room in Beyer Hall. Each word symbolizes the focus of each ISU Judo Club student. For the past 27 years, Master Yong Chin Pak has used these concepts as the foundation of his teaching and coaching of the arts of Judo, Tae-Kwon-Do and Hapkido. Judo, however, is the least recognized of the three martial arts clubs at ISU. This is often attributed to the fact that it’s not the type of fighting you see portrayed in the movies. “Judo is more of a sport for competing, rather than self-defense,” said John Gilbert, club president and junior in agricultural engineering. Unlike other forms of martial arts, Judo is similar to college wrestling. Head locks and throws are technical moves, rather than kicking and punching. “You’ve got two guys, and they’re trying to throw each other, and then they fight on the ground like wrestling,” said David Miller, senior in religious studies. Wrestling moves are not all that’s incorporated in the sport. Master Pak helps those involved in the art to work to build their well-being and confidence. “He really puts a lot of focus on building your character; more so than I think other instructors do,” Miller said. “He really tries to build you as a good citizen.” Women also benefit from the mental and physical aspects of Master Pak’s practices. “With women, he’s trying to lift up their self-confidence, so they won’t be willing to be battered or bruised or verbally assaulted in their future relationships,” said Angie Chipman, senior in psychology, history and second education. Judo is, in comparison to other marital arts programs, a more intense contact sport. Techniques include full-body contact, usually on the floor. “Just expect to get the crap kicked out of you for awhile,” Chad Jewel, senior in graphic design said. “It’s a rough, rough sport.” Regardless, in the first few weeks of practice, students learn to fall and move to prevent injury. “People don’t like the idea of falling on a mat, but you learn how to fall and it doesn’t hurt if you do it properly,” Chipman said. Students new to martial arts in general get thorough training on how to compete and prevent injury. “The one thing I think a lot of people have a misconception of is that all these people are not beginners,” Miller said. “I’m more of a beginner than I am advanced. You don’t have to be good to do any of this stuff.” The Judo Club will be competing in four or five tournaments, starting in mid-Ocotober. Competition sites range from Iowa State to Minneapolis, Omaha, and Chicago. The team’s overall goal is to eventually increase the number of practices held, and make their way to the national tournament. At the end of practice, students sit down to reflect on what the words on the wall mean to each other’s lives. They attentively and respectfully sit and discuss with the coach how each is an important part of their development. “Judo is the best overall mind-body workout you can come up against,” Chipman said. “It works every single aspect of you.”